Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Loose Front Sight

The front sight on my 1898 Krag is loose. It wobbles left to right. What is the best procedure to tighten it back up.
    Thanks in advance.

The blade, or the whole stud? Regular sight or aftermarket?
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

3. Default

Just the blade of a regular sight.

Remove pin. Remove blade. Squeeze base judiciously. Reassemble.

Right, pin goes out from left to right. I'd use locking pliers, vise grips, to do the squeezing, a very tiny bit at a time. You could probably squeeze the stud with the blade in there even.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

You might want to pad the sides with steel shim to avoid marring the sight base.

7. Default

Thanks guys I'll work on it. Then shoot it.

8. Default

Stabilized the front sight and went to the range this weekend. Windage was fine but elevation was stringing up & down which is my fault it was difficult to get a good sight picture. Also the Trigger creep was very severe. Now my question is how to remove the creepy trigger and is there any rear sight that can help with the sight picture that v notch is very small and difficult for my eyes to see thru. I have a model 1902 rear sight without the peep.

The peep can really be an advantage if sight picture is hard with the cup. Sometimes, using reading glasses to focus on the sights rather than the target can help. Just ensure that the sight picture is centered within the (now fuzzy) black dot of the bullseye.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Find an 02 sight that has already had a larger V cut into the eyepiece rather than mess with original. Sometimes, the fit of the upper band can cause vertical stringing too. With the band real tight the first shot almost always 3" higher than the group at 100yd.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 04-28-2014 at 01:59.