Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1903 Heavy Barrel

1. Default

Your rifle could be a 1921 INM, I have seen a few early HB's that were rebuilt/ repaired by later owners. See pg. 108. (Brophy) Look at the front sight.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by oakfarm View Post
    Your rifle could be a 1921 INM, I have seen a few early HB's that were rebuilt/ repaired by later owners. See pg. 108. (Brophy) Look at the front sight.
    Thanks for the comments.

As much as I would like to think it is a 1921 IM rifle, I just do not think it is. From the article in Brophy, they all had the Krag rear sight fitted, and removed if not needed and the screw holes filled. This rifle does not have any holes other than the holes for the Unertl blocks. Also, the same article mentions that the 1921 rifles did not have the hole in the buttstock for the cleaning kit, and this rifle does have the holes drilled.

Whatever it is, I will enjoy it. I have been looking for a T or a IM 03 that I could afford for a while, so this one will do. It may have been put together, but I think it was done in the early 20's. It does not look like something someone recently put together, or a reproduction if you will.

Promo, I paid a fair price, but WAY less than any other heavy barrel 03 I have seen.

John

Quote Originally Posted by gasgunner View Post
    Thanks John. If you do not mind, help me out and tell me what indicates that the stock is from pre-1915? Not questioning the fact, just trying to learn.

Thanks,
    John
    I recognize the stock by the single rear reinforcing crossbolt and the "J.F.C." inspection stamp.

If your rifle could talk, you might be astonished at what it could tell you! The rifle exhibits all the characteristics of having been assembled by a local armorer for a commissioned officer on a military shooting team. I acknowledge that it could have been assembled last month around the corner in Bubba's workshop, but I don't think so. Bubba ain't that smart!

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Although we might mourn what was done to make the rifle, since the "deed was done" I think we can admire what it looks like, none the less.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

The only thing I'm mourning is the fact that rifle isn't in my safe. We have a 1000 yard match in Wendover Saturday and I've got some 180gr Matchkings....

6. Default

Sorry about the last post. What I should have said was , the barrel could be from an early INM rifle:

7. Default

In July 1930 the Type "T" barrel could be purchased through the DCM for $36.50. One could have it targeted for an additional $3.55. A special lower band could be purchased for $1.50.
    I believe that the Armory would fit a barrel for somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.00. From the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine July 1930. By 1931 the supply of 28 inch barreled "T's" were gone and the only thing available was the 30 inch barrel. From the July issue of the AR Magazine. I do not know whether the pictured rifle has a true "T" barrel or an after market barrel.
    FWIW

In the early stages of the Depression, $36.50 was a lot of money.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

9. Default

Hi RTL
    You are, of course, correct. In 1936 I was ten years old living in the depression era south and I am well aware that $36.50 was a lot of money in 1936, but was far less than the $85.00 plus $1.35 P&H plus shipment for the Style T. Someone had money for the Style T's and the NM's were selling As I remember it, in 1936 there was a "recession".
    I am sure that if this is actually a style "T" barrel, there must be some ordnance markings on it. I do not know what commercial bull barrels were selling for or how available they were.
    Just a thought.
    Last edited by Cosine26; 04-26-2014 at 12:46.