Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1899 Carbine Price Range

I have a really nice 1898 Krag with Italian walnut furniture, they really aren't what I collect but I found a nice 1899 Carbine at a LGS and I'm wondering what the price range should be, here are the details:

*Original finish on metal, I'd grade it a 87-89%
    *343,xxx serial number range
    *Bore is nice, bright, some pitting, rifling is sharp
    *Original stock with 1901 cartouche and proof, unsanded, no cracks or gouges, doesn't look to have been refinished.
    *Handguard has the sight bump in front, condition and finish matches the stock
    *1901 rear sight is C marked

It passes the sniff test with me, but admittedly I'm not very Krag knowledgeable, but still, it appears original to me.

LGS is asking $1250, I'm tempted to make an offer of $1000 and would probably pay a little more, but only because I'm not in the hunt for a Krag Carbine and I don't go to gunshows anymore, so I'm willing to pay a little bit more for a good example if it's an easy find, and this one was an easy find...

So is $1000 to $1100 a reasonable price?

TIA for your thoughts.

Yes, IMHO, that would be reasonable. Not a steal, but not rape, either.

Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Paying a little over going rate for an honest example in that shape, especially one you have hands and eyes on, will never be a decision to regret.

Amen to that!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Jay,

Is it a consignment, or is the shop the current owner? Do shooters in your area have money to burn? If you live in a truly bankrupt state, the market for toys and collectibles may have cooled some. Are hogs flying out the door at your local Harley shop? When you make an offer on something like that its money right now. The asking price is money later, maybe.

An approach that works for me is to ask "how much do you **have** to get for this?" Lot of time that will get you to a lower price without having to show your cards. Take it from there.

FWIW, if it was a really nice original '99 carbine, and that's what I wanted, it would be worth $1,000 to me.

You might try a SAS check on the number before buying. Finding some history on the piece would make it a lot more interesting, at least to me.

Good luck!

jn

Thanks guys for your input, I went back to the LGS and purchased the rifle today. Jon, I followed your advise and asked how much he had to get for it, he said pretty close to the $1250 sticker but then said he'd let it go out the door for $1200, we have a 8.75% sales tax here and with the DROS fee it would have added about $130 to the rifle, so I'm happy with the deal.

Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited by Jay Johnson; 04-21-2014 at 07:12.

California, eh? Have to wait or did you get to use your C&R? Nice purchase that you won't regret. Now where are the Pics!!??

Yes, California and no, I don't have a C&R, so pics in 10-days or so
    Last edited by Jay Johnson; 04-19-2014 at 08:59.

10. Default

Is there a cartouche?