Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Strange US Web Scabbard ID HELP

I have an OD lightweight web long scabbard with the typical US belt hanger. It exactly fits a M1905 bayonet for the M1903 rifle. It is in excellent condition. No markings. I would think that a bayonet would wear a hole in this thing. Is this thing rare or what? Any history or comment welcome.

Sounds like you have the web scabbard cover and are missing the scabbard.

A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

I believe the USMC used the lightweight OD color scabbard cover at the start of WW2

4. Default

I think what you have is a canvas scabbard for a reproduction bayonet. I purchased a repro M1917 several years ago that came in a scabbard like this. A M1905 bayonet also fits the scabbard

The web scabbard is much too small to go over the standard WWII hard Victory scabbard. The bayonet 'just fits' without any extra room. It is also the wrong color for the early M1905 web scabbard...tan vs OD.

They weren't for going over the WW2 scabbards.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

You're missing the rawhide liner.

http://www.google.com/imgres?biw=102...art=57&ndsp=14
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Default It Would Not Go Over a WWI Rawhide Scabbard

The web scabbard is too small to go over anything...including the WWI rawhide scabbard or wooden scabbard. The M1905 bayonet just fits into the web scabbard...not a smidge of room to spare.

9. Default

I have has a few of them. I believe they were a temporary cover for the m1905 or m1942. He's right, they don't fit the wood/hide scbd. (might fit the M7?). I thought they maybe were for parade use or something like that.

Lacking photos, I think you may have the one below. If so, it is a commercial version made by a surplus dealer to put the USN Mark 1 training bayonet in. Not military issue, simply a cheap item made to help sell the bayonet.

Gary Cunningham - Bayonetman