Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KFC Rations

1. Default

You may have been told they were 1940s rations but they weren't.

The 4-packs of smokes and pound cake were features of the Meal, Combat, Individual adopted in 1958.

The WWII U.S. Army Field Ration-C and post-war Ration, Individual, Combat were distinctly different from the MCI in both contents and packaging.

Not saying what we got (Ft Polk class of 1972) wasn't old, just that it wasn't that old

Maury

In 1966 I was opening 1949 and 1950 C's. Around 1967 I was using the back of the C carton as a post card and they were dated 1953 to 1958. Tasted the same. LOL Only the cigaret boxes changed. In '67 I had not seen a Chesterfield or Pall Mall unfiltered cig in years but there they were in the C rat box. Fruit cocktail was still the same. Anyone remember shake-a-puddin? A wise man could trade pudding up in the hills for LRRP rations in 1968. We thought these were the end all late night snacks because SOG/MACV had an ice machine and a gasoline hot water heater that ran all night so the ladies could have hot water to shave with. I guy just off guard wet and cold could round up a hot LRRP stew and a cold chocolate with a pudding back. I still see today's troops gripe about the MRE rations so not much has changed. I hope P.B. and J. and/or cheese on crackers is still issued. LOL
    Last edited by MJ1; 03-03-2014 at 09:47.
    "Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

We had c's in mess hall in Korea 53-55. Remember the 4 pack cigaretes well! Some had Luckey's in the original green pack, early WW11! Should have saved some of those! We used to play poker with the candy bars, loser ended up with all the candy. Even the Korean kids didn't want it!

4. Default

I think most people confuse the MCI with the C Ration. The MCI was in cans and packaged in a similar manner to C rations , but it was supposed to be the improved ration or so they said. If you ate a C Ration then you were in around the time of Korea or shortly after. FWIW we were eating MCI and LRP rations dated in the late 60's to early 70's right up to the time the MCI was replaced by the MRE. I actually liked the peaches and pound cake in the MCI , it was a real treat and I think everyone wanted that menu. Ham and Mothers was universally despised by all. The K Ration was pre WWII and WWII, I remember my Grandfather having virtually nothing to say good about the K. He said that the Breakfast menu with ham and eggs was more palatable than most but still nothing to write home about.

As for my own experience I ate enough MCI rations that I was ready for that Deuce that would eventually show up at some point with those mermite cans that had the green scrambled eggs in them, complete with the water that have managed to condense in the container or on occasion managed to slosh into the insert while being moved from point to point.

The one thing that was continually amazing to me was how they would bring out that OD painted silver bullet full of steaming coffee that was sufficiently hot enough to scald the skin off of you and shortly after being dispensed in your canteen cup would be ice cold in a matter of minutes.

Those were all good times.
    Last edited by Sharpshooter; 03-08-2014 at 09:51.
    “Freedom. And Justice. If you have those two, it covers everything. You must stick to those principles and have the courage of your convictions.” - Ian Smith