Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    id like to see a Unertel base installed on that rifle...
    the marks on my rifle, were outlined from a WW2 vintage base.
    guess im wrong eh? and the pictures lie? common really?
    since when did the USMC use a drift punch to remove a rear sight base? and why would they do so if they installed the barrel? you see the same pictures as me.
    the serial number markings on the bolt, are not only in the wrong place, but just about the worst iv seen.
    I made no suggestion that the rifle was fitted for Unertl bases. I was well aware that it was not. And if you believe that all USMC sniper rifles were fitted with Unertl bases, then you have more education coming.

The serial number markings on the bolt look just like lots of other goofy serial number markings that I have seen on USMC rifles.

J.B.

please....educate all of us on a 1903 USMC snipers rifle with no optics...
    and please...post pictures... im waiting with an open mind..
    for the record, i agree with part of J.B,s observations..barrel and receiver may have been USMC...the holes, bolt, rear sight base, and front sight base, were likely done and installed by someone other then any military branch.
    without better pictures of the buttplate, and stock, anything else would be a guess, and a stretch.
    Last edited by chuckindenver; 03-08-2014 at 12:58.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Please let me be abundantly clear that my judgement is based on what I see in the pictures. A personal examination of the subject rifle might be completely mind-changing. Be that as it may.

My education came at great expense. Copies of documents from the National Archives, for example, have an amortized cost of $1 per page. I, therefore, feel no obligation to post those documents online for all to peruse. Gathering and sorting meaningful data, likewise, comes at great expense in both time and money. Similarly, I feel no obligation to post that data online for all to critique. But, I regularly respond to personal requests for more information, frequently with the understanding that the information be kept confidential. And this thread is no exception.

As I said in my earlier posting, the reader must choose. No criticism of anyone is implied or intended.

J.B.

The hole spacing on the receiver is to much. The correct spacing for the holes are .560 for bbl and .860 on the receiver center to center. The correct blocks are the Unertel "O" and "E" blocks. At least that's what the books say anyway and that's what's on mine. That's just my half cent.

5. Default

John Beard, trying to PM you and your box is full. Thanks.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
    John Beard, trying to PM you and your box is full. Thanks.
    Reply sent.

J.B.

7. Default

Besides the discussion if it being a USMC sniper rifle or not, if you have the chance to - buy it as a rifle for shooting! It's a nice USMC rifle, at least that is the minimum part what all here seem to agree upon.

8. Default

Who says that every single "Sniper Rifle" the USMC ever had used Unertl bases? What about those fielded BEFORE WWII? According to the much maligned Joe Poyer in his 2012 book "Collecting the American Sniper Rifle 1900 to 1945" on pages 42 and 44, the Marines both used and tested Winchester/Lyman A5s and probably other scopes before, during and after WWI and before WWII. The published photos are most interesting.

I am a rank amateur at the 1903, but I seem to remember reading elsewere as well (Major Plaster's?) that the USMC having sniper rifles in WWI and also during the Banana Wars in the 1920's and 30's - and they would have had to have some other scope and whatever mounts they came with - say a Lyman/Winchester A5, or some other makers - as the Unertl was not available yet. CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

SPEEDGUNNER,

Now your mail box is full and I cannot PM you! Please clear some room for a reply!

Thanks!

J.B.

10. Default

I don't believe it is, or was, a sniper rifle. It appears to me to have been a USMC R&P team rifle (scoped or not). The base hole spacing is common for the Unertl or Win A5 scope bases. Only one of the better known smiths of the day used an odd base hole spacing, and that is because he made his own bases. He also used a different sized screw than did most others. Typically, a smith will "touch" the tops of the tapped holes with a file to remove the slight burr left by the tap. Whoever tapped this rifle did not do so. Doesn't mean it wasn't a USMC armorer.

I have often heard about the early USMC sniper rifles having their bases soldered on, but I have yet to see known originals done so. I don't see the purpose for soldering. A properly tapped rifle is very solid as mountings go. Soft soldering could damage the base case hardening to some extent (discoloration but not temper). Since tinning produces a slightly uneven surface, fitting the base and soldering it would not be a simple task if done correctly.

I don't believe any of the WWI USMC sniper rifle bases were soldered. If anyone can demonstrate the case for soldering, I am all ears.

jt