Thread: M1922 scope mount bases - identifying

Default M1922 scope mount bases - identifying

Can someone please describe the original scope mount bases that would have been used on a M1922? A good enough description to identify them in the wild? Maybe photos?

I would really appreciate that, thank you!

I am in a very slow process of assembling an ersatz M1922 M2. I have a 4-digit '03 receiver already drilled for the Lyman 48, a Lyman 48, a M1922 stock of some sort with barrel band, M1922 barrel freshly relined, M1922 M2 bolt, M1922 floorplate, M1922 mag catch.

I'm thinking this will make a very credible ersatz M1922 M2.

Challenges: Close up the bottom of the receiver and fit an opening for the M2 magazine. Maybe, just maybe, file out a block to fill the bolt raceway in the lug on the right side of the receiver and silver solder it in.

And then it occurs to me that if it had the scope blocks mounted it would obscure the marking that shows it is a M1903 and not a M1922. Not that I intend to fool anyone and not that it would'nt be apparent on close inspection, but just so the first impression doesn't ruin the gestalt so to speak.

So, if I'm going to put so many nice parts into this project, I'd like the mounting blocks to be correct. How can I identify what I am looking for?

Blog Entries

If the blocks were made by Lyman they will have an "O" and an "E" stamped on the bottom of them. There are some new blocks being made. I don't know who makes them but a search or question here should provide the name of the maker.

Thanks, Herschel. O & E sounds familiar. Are those the same bases used on the Marine sniper rifles?

Blog Entries

Claude, The Lyman Chart I have shows the O & E blocks fit the 1903 Springfield, 1922 Springfield, 1922M1 and M2 Springfield. The chart also shows the same blocks fit the 1917 Enfield and Model 98 Mauser. I have a chart showing Unertl block usage and it also shows the O & E fit the Enfield and Model 98 Mauser. This suggests to me that Unertl used the same code for the blocks as did Lyman. Since Unertl produced the scopes for the USMC Sniper, I assume they would have used their own blocks. They could have bought the blocks from Lyman. I just don't know about that but I question whether every producer of scopes had their own scope block manufacturing facility. The correct placement of the blocks to get 1/4 minute changes per click of windage and elevation is the rear block on the receiver ring and the front block 7.2" forward (center to center) of the rear block. Shorter spacing between blocks was sometimes used but that would cause a click of windage or elevation to make a greater change in point of impact of the bullet.
    Last edited by Herschel; 03-01-2014 at 04:48.

I wouldn't bother trying to "find" original bases. For what you are doing just get some new ones and be done with it. This guy makes excellent bases.

http://steveearleproducts.com/index.html

FWIW,

Emri

Blog Entries

I agree with Emri. The O and E bases used to be fairly inexpensive and easy to find but the people restoring or recreating USMC Sniper models snapped them up. If you do happen to find some old blocks, make sure they have the little half moon cutout on the edge. Earlier blocks for the old Lyman A5, or 5A, had a small hole in the side into which the ring assembly mounting screw fitted. Bubba does not know this and sometime tries to mount a Unertl or other later (late 19390's or after) scope on the old type blocks. This results in damage to the edge of the block and to the mounting screw.

7. Default

Steve Earle does exact reproductions, they are very nice. If you don't want to find original ones, this would be the best possibility.

"exact reproductions" That sounds close enough! ;<{

I think the barrel is already drilled and tapped so the spacing is already established.

Thanks for all the guidance, guys!

This publication may be of value in your project. I have dealt with them in the past and found the products and service excellent

Jim

http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/...hp?item_id=746