Default The #4Mk 1* curse.

It finally bit me. A recent acquisition has the unhappy habit of popping the bolt head out of the track upon closing. Close examination showed a tiny chip in the track, right at the dismount, that allows the head to escape. It wasn't noticed when firing rounds though. Is there a repair for this fault? The rifle is otherwise OK and I hate to make it a wall hanger.

A little judicious peening of the area adjacent to the defect is often sufficient. Adding a subtle chamfer fore and aft on the bolt head's tongue can help prevent further damage.

Parashooter, your pictures are exactly what I have. Will get started, Nate

Hey, it worked. Can't thank you enough. Made my day.

Glad to help someone who has the skill and understanding to do the job.

I usually write them off as parts rifles. I've been lucky enough so far not to have this issue with any "good" rifles. The pic was helpful. Thanks, I will keep it in mind when I get my next chipped one.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Peter Laidler has a page on a repair to the rail. More involved for rifles with a bit more damage but still a good read. I recall Brian Dick also does this kind of repair. I have an LB receiver I will send someday with a long crack in the rail.

Good luck.
    "Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn