1. Default A little nervous...

OK, so I pick up my late number M1903 next week. Girlfriend surprised me this weekend with a box of 150 gr 30-06 (Remington).

I shoot regularly, pistol. .45 ACP 1911 pattern. By regularly I mean once every 1-2 weeks, depending on finances and time, with targets typically at 15-25 m.

I grew up shooting rifles. I started at around 8 years old. Over under Savage .22/410 combo. Quickly moved up to 7 mm mag (Remington 700 action) as a deer gun.

That said, I haven't pulled the trigger on a rifle in 10 years, and even longer ago than that on iron sights. The range here is 100 yards, outdoors.

I guess you could say I have the butterflies. I hope I can hit the broadside of a barn.

2. Default

It appears that you have much to look forward to...and good support too! You'll be fine...~"aim small miss small"~

Nervous? You have experience handling firearms and presumably understand gun safety. You'll be shooting a new-to-you rifle so you'll want to check it over thoroughly for function and make certain it's clean and properly lubricated before taking it to the range.

The rear sight on the 1903 is quite good (for a 70+ y.o. battle rifle) but rather complex, so you'll need to read a bit and learn how to use it properly. (And with it's forward mounting and tiny aperture, it's a challange for those of us with "older eyes" ).

Starting at 100 yards should be alright, 50 would be better. Depending on the condition of the barrel, with a bit of practice you might expect 1903 to be reasonably accurate (or not) out to at least 300 yards. Good for 1.0 minute of hun, anyway.

Do your homework. Set realistic expectations. Have fun. Tell the butterflies to bugger off.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Don't forget, when the rear sight is in the down position, it is set at Battle Sight, or about 576 yards (or close to that) on the 1903 Springfield. Battle Sight on any given military rifle is whatever the sight is set for when the sight leaf is in the down or resting position. By the way, Battle Sight on a U.S. tank is 1200 yards. The nearest setting on the 1903 sight is for 100 yards. With the sight leaf up, you can use the Peep Sight or the open Field Sight (within the triangle) set at the lowest mark on the sight leaf.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-09-2014 at 07:45.

A girl friend who brings home ammo for you is some serious wife material. Regards, Clark

Stand inside the barn.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3v...it?usp=sharing

Be safe, have fun.