Thread: Help needed with ID

Default Help needed with ID

Hey Guys,

Just got in a Rem. Rand that appears all original but for several things. It appears the have been worked by an armorer to make a match pistol. Tight (replacement) barrel bushing. Lugs on barrel welded and fitted. Frame rails lowered. All is excellent work. The balance of pistol appears to be all stock and correct 1945 stuff.

Here is what I need help with.... The slide is stamped on the LH side, between the hardened front end and the factory RR markings, with the following......( not freehand sloppy letters, but as if a die was used. All letters perfectly aligned and spaced. )

SFC Emory B Parker
    US 53-344-571

Has anyone ever heard of him ? Is the number a military ID number ?

I'll get some pics when I can, no camera at work right now.

Thanks !!!

Emri

2. Default

The number is his service number. If my limited knowledge is correct, the US tells us he was conscripted. The 53 is the area he was from. I googled the name and there is someone in Alabama with that name and the 53 region includes Alabama. I'd check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenkane View Post
    The number is his service number. If my limited knowledge is correct, the US tells us he was conscripted. The 53 is the area he was from. I googled the name and there is someone in Alabama with that name and the 53 region includes Alabama. I'd check into that.
    Thank-you for the info. I did find the name in AL and it might well be him. Other sites wanted a credit card info and a payment to get anymore ( military ) info. I didn't have a clue about the mil. ID number, but you answered that also.

Thanks again !!

Emri

Default Promised Pics........

Here are some quickly generated pics. One is a little fuzzy, but is an overall one........

If anyone has any SRS info in the SN, that would be nice !!

Thanks,

Emri
    Last edited by Emri; 01-25-2014 at 12:41.

There is no way of knowing how Emory Parker came to own the pistol. May have brought it home, someone may have given it to him, or he may have bought it. Most likely he had the markings put on after he left the service, as there is no way he would have been allowed to personalize a military weapon.

A jewelry store or trophy shop could have put the markings on with a pantograph machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    There is no way of knowing how Emory Parker came to own the pistol. May have brought it home, someone may have given it to him, or he may have bought it. Most likely he had the markings put on after he left the service, as there is no way he would have been allowed to personalize a military weapon.

A jewelry store or trophy shop could have put the markings on with a pantograph machine.

Thanks Johnny,

The personal markings are stamped, not engraved. I can feel the raised edges around the letters where the metal was displaced. He probably used a good jig for holding stamps as I now see the "o" is a little off and all are not perfectly straight "up & down". All the letters arent fully formed as they would be with an engraved pantograph. The pic was taken under a magnifying glass desk lamp w/flourescent ring light. ( I think it turned out rather well as I was holding the camera w/o a tripod. It focused and magnified better than the lens would have w/o going to macro mode and using a tripod with real good lighting. )

I figured a military armorer as the sights are issue and nothing else was done except the barrel fitting, TIGHT bushing, rail lowering, and a good trigger pull.

I await more input,

Thanks,

Emri

P.S. - without any provenance, is it a $600 shooter ? More ? I know it is not an "original" military collectable. Also, the bore isn't like new. Someone shot with corrosive ammo w/o cleaning. The bore is bright, sharp rifling, but there are some pits in it.
    Last edited by Emri; 01-25-2014 at 02:36.

The pantograph machine works like a dentists drill, and it leaves a raised edge where it cuts, and if you look at it with a good magnifier you will see cutter marks in the letters. In skilled hands the pantograph can do a decent job, but the one thing it can't do is make square cuts where the cutting begins and ends. There are also little squiggles that show up in the letters and numbers like the R in Emory having one leg longer than the other.

8. Default

Hi All,

As I recall the "US" designation in an Army member's number indicated a draftee or National Guard enlistee. The prefix for a volunteer soldier was "RA" (Regular Army).

Ergo an Sergeant First Class with a "US" prefix was probably National Guard.

I'm sure that this weapon is worth $600.

Ray

Having used a pantograph for years I'd have to agree with Johnny P. And it appears that the pantograph and cutter have seen a good bit of use at that. The cutter especially needs a bit of sharpening.

10. Default

In 1964 the US Army had the flowing prefix on services numbers. RA=Regular Army US=Drafted ER=enlisted reservist NG=Nation Guard.