Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Kurtflys,

You can get an M24, you just don't want to pay for it, Rifle ONLY, about $3800.
    Let me know.

1shot, Mike Rock Barrels had the first M24 Contract is late 1985 for cut rifled barrels.

Marty

2. Default

I know you can get a gun that looks like a M24, but will it be marked like a M24, and be listed with a military serial number?

3. Default

M24's are available with all correct markings, they have not used the "U.S." markings since the first contract, but the other markings "M700 M24" are on the receiver. I was offered anotherone just last month from a Remington contact and I purchased one about 3 years ago.

Marty

the M40 or the M24 wasnt marked as such....
    they were both marked 700 , and U.S. or US PROPERTY.
    roll stamped.
    or electro engraved such..{not vibro tool}

5. Default

The M24 is indeed and has always been marked M24 on the receiver just aft of the Remington mark.

6. Default

The amazing thing is the receiver is over $4500.00. I guess someone thinks it is something. Possibly an M40. A FOIA check of the DOD central registry shows the gun was Air Force Property. Something to keep in mind in the future when it shows up as an "original" USMC sniper. It is just beyond the Marine contract and into the "trials" range for the Army, Airforce and Sionics. There is a rifle 29 numbers away in Senich's book tested at Benning as a suppressed rifle from Sionics. The number is however specifically listed in the DOD as an Air Force Property "inactive record". Serial number 6257301 is the one at auction.

7. Default

M40's are not marked because they are NOT a manufactured rifle as such, it is a designation given by the Corps, The M24 however is a rifle manufactured as an M24 and sold to Uncle.

These are the real markings on an M24 circa 1998

A lot but not all Electro penciled US Prop marked rifles are fake, beware!

The Receiver for sale on the CMP site is a REAL M40 receiver it is a short action and clip slot. Some one is going to be very happy!

Marty

8. Default

BSully,

The first contract of "M40" really called M700 Snipers were procured by the Air Force and some transfered to the Corps. The 6 Mil # was much to late to make it into Trial as the earliest S/N range for the Marine rifles is 220K-325K ish.

Thew CMP receiver is clipslotted and if it is a Air Force contact gun it is possible that it made its way to the Corps, just not likely. Besides, Airforce sniper rifles are more rare than Marine corps rifles.

Marty

9. Default

Marty,
    The "trials" in my post refers specifically to the suppressor trials/testing and night vision mounting trials/testing rifles not to the initial "trials" rifles pre procurement. The Army, the Air Force and Sionics procured the rifles from Remington as the deliverys to the Corp were all but over by the time they were doing the tests.
    The Air Force rifles, the Army Rifles and the Navy ADL M40 rifles are all rare but dont have the romance of the USMC rifles. Most people would see an ADL M40 and say "wow, too bad you have the wrong stock on it." They do however exist. If the rifle went from one branch to another it would be more likely it came from the Corp to the Air Force as the DOD record is from 1982. It is most likely it was a direct shipment to the Air Force. There were a few late M40 rifles (6mil range) that have been awarded as trophys by the Corp but it is estimated that very few of the 6 mil rifles were shipped to the Corp.

rifle at auction is pretty close to the serial of mine..
    mine is rollstamped U.S. PROPERTY just above the serial.