Thread: Which to keep?

Default Which to keep?

Over the years, I have acquired two of the first-style (iron guard) versions of the M1880 hunting knife. One has the Varney scabbard, the other a field-repaired long loop (no brass hook). I am thinking of selling one of them, probably without scabbard (am certainly not parting with the Varney!), but cannot make up my mind, so perhaps some input from knife collectors would help.

(1) Is practically "new" (has age but no wear) in that it retains some original polish and is very crisp (sharp edges on front of crossguard, etc.) but has some severe staining/light pitting on blade as well as some serious nicks. My take is that it was possibly damaged in the trials and just put away.

(2) Shows a fair amount of overall wear, but no abuse. Blade is lightly sharpened, and has been cleaned, but there are no nicks.

Grip/handle (including the SWP/1881 inspection stamp unique to the iron guard) are a toss-up - no real advantage either way. Both knives bear 3-digit numbers.

I know which way I am leaning, but would like to hear from the experts. Thanks.

"Serious" nicks are a killer to selling.Which one has the best visual appeal?
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

Until you look closely at the condition (2) looks "better". One of the three major nicks on (1) is almost 1/2 of a dime. I suppose I'll have to take some pics . . . . . . . .

No expert but…….me personally I'd keep #1 paired with the field repaired scabbard.Degree of crispness and original finish trumps visual aspect and cleaned IMHO.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

I'm not up on the M1880's. Doesn't the Varney come along after the change over to brass guards? I'm with you that I wouldn't get rid of either sheath for a blade that is that old, unless I was trading it for something of comparable value that I felt I needed more. Hard to really have an opinion on the knives without seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by sac troop View Post
    I'm not up on the M1880's. Doesn't the Varney come along after the change over to brass guards? I'm with you that I wouldn't get rid of either sheath for a blade that is that old, unless I was trading it for something of comparable value that I felt I needed more. Hard to really have an opinion on the knives without seeing them.
    Apparently, for many years, at least prior to the publication of "Light But Efficient" in the 1980s, the complex Varney scabbard was though to be towards the end of development - actually, the reverse was true. It was the very first pattern, the one issued with the iron guards, and M1880 experimental trials rod-bayonet rifle. They are highly sought after, and usually quite expensive.

I'd given up ever owning one until the combo came up on eBay about six months ago. I was after the scabbard, the knife was secondary - the eBay pics were rather strangely lit and made the knife look like absolute crap. When it came, I was stunned - yes, it has some issues, but it is a nearly new knife. Hayes Otoupalik has an empty Varney scabbard no better than mine - in fact maybe not quite as nice - for twice what I paid for the combo.

Otoupalik has some interesting things but IMO his prices are outrageous on a lot of them.

I cannot disagree with you on that - but I believe I can top it - Ken McPheeters!

Hayes and Ken are both nice guys, but sheeeeeeesh.

Also on the highbinders's list: Collector's Firearms (Houston), and Neil Gutterman.

I'll agree with that I check McPheeters quite often too.LOL Good place to take screen shots of stuff.
    Last edited by JBinIll; 01-25-2014 at 04:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Apparently, for many years, at least prior to the publication of "Light But Efficient" in the 1980s, the complex Varney scabbard was though to be towards the end of development - actually, the reverse was true. It was the very first pattern, the one issued with the iron guards, and M1880 experimental trials rod-bayonet rifle. They are highly sought after, and usually quite expensive.

I'd given up ever owning one until the combo came up on eBay about six months ago. I was after the scabbard, the knife was secondary - the eBay pics were rather strangely lit and made the knife look like absolute crap. When it came, I was stunned - yes, it has some issues, but it is a nearly new knife. Hayes Otoupalik has an empty Varney scabbard no better than mine - in fact maybe not quite as nice - for twice what I paid for the combo.
    Thank for clearing that up for me. Not too surprised that old stories tend to stay around well after new information has come to light. Part of the reason I tend to concentrate on only a few things at a time.