Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by James B. View Post
    Charlie. Thanks for the link. Really nice post which includes most of the rare examples of military shotshell boxes. That post should be used as a reference for new collectors. Every time I see those pics. of Ordnance's Vietnam era display I drool a little in envy. I'd like to know more about the Woodin Labs collection.
    James B.
    James,

Funny you mention the "drool". I was just going back through this thread and admiring that lot WC 1-1 XM257 can. That's one I'd sure like to own, too. Very nice.

The Woodin Laboratories collection is basically the life's work of Bill Woodin in Tucson, and is the world's largest collection of police and military small arms ammunition up to 30mm. For anybody interested in ammunition, a visit is one for the bucket list. The variety and depth of the collection is amazing with many unique and "sole survivor" specimens. Nearly as amazing is the amount of knowledge about rare ammo that Bill has in his head ready for instant recall. Truly the original Guru of of cartridge collecting.

A quick example.......on a past visit there, I wanted to see what variations he had in German rifle grenade launching cartridges, as grenade launching stuff is another interest of mine. I have struggled to gather up maybe 6 or 7 various WWI and WWII types over the years. Sliding open a 2 1/2 foot square drawer revealed perhaps a couple hundred different types. Kind of leaves you with that......why do I even bother?.....feeling about your collection.

In Vietnam, circa 1970, I was issued brass-cased 00 buck rounds in a brown paper box marked WCC. Does anyone have any idea how old these cartridges were at that time, or how they might have made their way to Vietnam? Regards, Clark

Clark. The last version of all brass shells were put into production very late in WWII. It is thought that very few if any actually made it into the field before the war's end. The all brass shells you were issued in Vietnam (thanks for your service by the way) were probably left over from WWII production or made shortly after WWII. Were these boxes you mentioned 10 or 25 rd.? Also were the markings like those on known WWII boxes?

Ordnance. Thanks, that one's a centerpiece in my Vietnam era shell collection. Those flechettes, man oh man, I'd sure like to get hold of a box of those. You must have gotten into this field really early. Do you know if Bill Woodin has, or has plans to write a book on his research into this field? If so I'd be interested in a copy.
    James

James- Thanks for your enlightening response concerning my question. The shells I inquired about were packed in a 25 round brown box. The unit I was assigned to was a successor to one of the first Air Force units assigned to Vietnam. I have since surmised that this ammunition had been moved around the Western Pacific since at least Korea, and maybe as far back as WWII. I know that the Filipino security people at Clark Air Force Base in the Philippines used brass cased 12 ga. ammo in Winchester Model 97 shotguns during the same period. Regards, Clark