Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel qouetion

Default Barrel qouetion

What would a very nice SA 10-19 03 barrel be worth, no I don't have any pics. Sharp clean rifling shinny from end to end. Yes it has been parked but probably from rebuild. This barrel is in a 1,1XX,XXX serial range SA MKI. Gun store has it and is asking 300 for it.

Regards
    BudT
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

If the receiver has not been drilled or otherwise molested, $300 is a deal. Offer $250 out the door. Regards, Clark

3. Default

Barrel could very likely be original to the receiver.

Nope nothing done to it except the scant stock was cut down but otherwise it's not molested.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

The barrel is no doubt original to the receiver. The stock should be a WWI type with two stock bolts of course. Are any Mark I parts still on it?

Scant with the 2 bolts through it , but they cut it and the hand-guard down. To bad to it was in real nice condition to. The bolt shroud looks almost like it was color case hardened. The bolt is wrong it's a Remington. A 2 stamped on the front sight. If the stock wasn't cut and it had the right bolt and blue instead of parked it would be a very nice condition rifle.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Well then if you get it, you can give it a proper straight grip (non scant) stock with grasping grooves or without them, since the rifle has probably had the Mark I parts removed and replaced with standard parts already. What the attraction is for scant grip stocks is beyond my understanding. I wouldn't have one on any WWI era barreled action. The original hand guard I believe could've been either concave (high hump) or straight of course.

8. Default

The barrel was parkerized when it was new, so if it's the original parking and not redone that's good. The presence of a scant stock, as others have pointed out, is evidence of a rebuild. Even 03A3's didn't have those hideous things on them originally!
    I'm a little confused, though...are you considering buying the barrel only or the whole rifle for $300? If it's the whole rifle, that's a 1980's, pre-"Private Ryan" price...go for it!
    Last edited by jonnyo55; 01-16-2014 at 10:24.

Yes I was thinking of buying the rifle but the barrel is what I would really be after. If it matches the receiver as it is speculated here then taking it out would be out of the question, I don't butcher up a good piece. The barrels were parkerized in 1919? I didn't know that I thought they were blued.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

It wasn't the later Grey Parkerizing. It was a very dark color.