Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    2nd tour, the 0300 field long gone and was pure comm and also picked up 2841 then to 2861 i was assigned to 5th comm bn again and was sent to man hf systems at the airfield. It was unusual to have a tech that was experienced enough to set up and man a hf shot and then fix the damn thing (being a ham radio op i knew enough of worldwide comm on hf to talk to the states every day on 14.300 USB)
    the good old MRC-83, but that evolved to a TRC-73 they wanted to set up a TSC-15 van, but that would have been just too much of a target, got nailed on 28 Jan 68 then i was gone
    1/9 got there on 21 Jan 68 and immediately took up a blocking position at the rock quarry. I made it through the entire siege with only a sprained ankle and a lot of close calls.

m1

hey mack just joined the site ,,you have a good knowledge of the scopes ..you a marine sniper too ? are you in the USMCL.I am up in the glens falls area "memdet #2 MCL "we have a great rifle team here .just got a springfield set up for vintage sniper competition 1903 with a scope from creedmoor .usmc copy fromww2.nice scope like an old target spot .

Quote Originally Posted by mmtrains1 View Post
    hey mack just joined the site ,,you have a good knowledge of the scopes ..you a marine sniper too ? are you in the USMCL.I am up in the glens falls area "memdet #2 MCL "we have a great rifle team here .just got a springfield set up for vintage sniper competition 1903 with a scope from creedmoor .usmc copy fromww2.nice scope like an old target spot .
    no, i was a grunt until called into company commanders hooch and he said "how come you never told anyone you are a ham radio operator?" I said "no one asked" He said "guess what, you are now my radio operator!" I said "thanks a lot"
    then i learned how to hide behind a prc25, how heavy a prc 47 was, and that no one absolutely no one wanted to carry any of it.
    so from that point on was in comm/elec field, they sent me to tech school and i was bored stiff, they were teaching basic electronics, and I got called into the directors office and he said "want to challenge the course" I said "sure" i did and aced it all. made sgt that day. then to tech school then they made me instructor and i taught the guys that were having problems with math, seemed to have a way to make em understand the math in electronics, and that the math was needed and not hard
    I mean they were teaching as they had to, but hell i was alicensed ham at 10 years old and could do 30plus words per minute morse code. and i actually did use some code in the corps, strange as it sounds. spent the rest of my time in service operating, fixing, and building radio sites all over the world, some of my antennas i built 35 years ago still in the air and working.
    also spent time in the "signal exploitation space on the USS Saipan and 2nd radio bn" snoop and poop stuff with radios,
    still a ham operator and have a 85' tower in back yard with five element beam on it and still involved in NavMarCorpsMars. 59 years and counting since first ham ticket,
    two expensive hobbies, guns, and amateur radio, and add to that model railroad, wierd huh!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Valley View Post
    I was at Khe Sanh for the entire siege. Several units participated in the breakout but I don't recall 3/3 being there. I thought they were on the coast at that time, around Nhi Ha.
    I salute you Marine! Tough duty for sure. I always wondered what it was like being under constant barrage for weeks on end.

Semper Fi,

jt

28 jan 68
    we were getting hit again and i was running as fast as my sorry ass could and the next thing i knew i was up in the air
    had no idea how, was rather confused, one second i am running the next i am in the air saying how in the hell did you get up here. did not remember any noise, still dont't, that was all i remembered, woke up three days later on a hosp ship (i think it was uss repose, could be wrong) seems i had run into a 120mm rocket (told later) and went airborne (they did not even consider that solo flight)... made it back to the world on that one
    all this because i was pretty good with a radio!!
    for Garden Valley
    at that time if memory serves i was attached to 5th comm bn right before 7th took over? long time ago and i was kept all over the place working radios
    to the folks that made the entire siege, my hat is off to you and if you were here the first case would be on me!! Khe Shan a dirty nasty place, wonder what it looks like now, probably has a lot of ghosts wonder if the matting on runway still there?
    Last edited by pelago; 01-11-2014 at 10:47.

10. Default

Nothing is left judging from Google Earth.

jt