Thread: Ballistol Oil

Default Ballistol Oil

Has anyone had any experience using this Ballistol oil. It claims to work on metal, electrical equipment, wood, leather, plastics and fishing and boating equipment. Claims to be alkaline in nature and removes lead and copper fouling and cancels out handling oils on gun surfaces. Is it any good or just another Skunk Oil?

I use it exclusively now. Initially I bought it to clean weapons after firing with non-corrosive primers, and it is excellent at that. I also shoot lead bullets in my pistols, and the 41 magnum is kept lead free from the Ballistol. As far as coppering goes, I haven't noticed a copper fouling in my m-1s. It does protect from rust very well. I have used it to treat gunstocks and old Greek M-1 slings and it did well.

I wouldn't put it on any collector slings. Ballistol is 85% mineral oil, so anything that mineral oil is good for, Ballistol should be also.

Speaking of slings, I got my hands on a 1907 sling that has seen some type of heat/flame from a long time ago. Due to this, it has a lot of cracking going on. What would be the best oil for it?

You might look into PECARD Leather dressing. It is used by many museums for leather stabilization. I have used it for years on various leather products with good results.

Agree on the Pecards, but don't go by the old adage that "if a little will do a little good, a lot should do a lot of good". Put a coat on as sparingly as possible, and let it work into the leather. When that coat is absorbed, apply another thin coat, and so on.

I like it, it works good for Hawaii, the Salt in the air is murderous to guns, especially if used with corrosive ammo or black powder. I use ballistol to clean and preserve, hasnt failed yet, stays wet for a good while to.

Ballistol is a WW1 German bore cleaner-ie black powder.
    Extremely good cleaner.
    Will remove smoke residue that other solvents won't even touch.
    Can has mixing instructions for use as black powder solvent/cleaner.
    Pecards antique leather presevative is THE leather preservative, as stated above.
    Museums use it on their valuable leather items, and reclaim dry leather items.