Thread: Kirst Konverter

Default Kirst Konverter

Anyone use a Kirst Konverter in their 1858 Remington or 1860 Colt Army? A guy at the range had one on his Uberti Remington together with a spring loaded ejector. He had cylinders for both .45 Colt and .45 ACP. I thought it was a pretty neat set-up for an antique replica revolver. Comments?

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/index.html

Default cartridge conversions

I have heard nothing but good reports concerning the Kirst converter, I just bought one of their 1851 Colt cylinders in 38 Colt for a project. The photo shows two cartridge conversions of a Uberti 1851 and 1861. These revolvers were found incomplete and well used and abused.
    I had to make the ejector rod housings, recoil plate and loading gates. Most import about shooting any of the repro black powder revolvers is the type of bullet used, I make-up hollow based soft lead bullets or you can buy heel type bullets as I noticed my Kirst cylinder is bored though without any shoulders. I used 38 S&W chambered cylinders in my two conversions and enjoy shooting them but you have to find the right bullet.

3. Default

I have one in an 1851 Remington (Pietta I think) and it works fine. Fun to shoot. I also have one in an 1860 Army. That one required being sent off to a smith Kirst recommended due to a timing issue. I also added the ejector rod it really looks good and works fine. Lastly, I converted a Navy 36 with a 38 cal convertor. That one needs hollow base wad cutter bullets due to the difference in .358 to .375 cal. But, it's also fun to shoot. R&D also makes a number of convertors which a company named Howell Old West Conversions. The prices are competitive and I used one to convert a little 32 cal Pietta that's based on the Remington solid frame to 32 S&W. It's like shooting a pop gun.

4. Default

I have 2 of the R&D converters for uberti 1858 rems. They really turn the 1858 into a hand cannon. I use a 250 grain big lube bullet behind 30 grains of 3f. I do not have an ejector of the 1858's and you have to take the cylinder out to unload anyway. But it is so much fun to shoot them.
    Mack
    hitler, stalin and mao were progressives in their time

Default hollow base buttlets

In this repro Colt 36 cal cartridge conversion that I made a few years ago, I noticed that hollow based bullets were a big improvement. Also decided to make-up some special hollow base bullets to test. They work ! but I think the hollow base does not have to be this deep to work. Often thought that I should have installed a 357 barrel liner but these seem to work well.