Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No4 Mk 1

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    It was applied in the UK prior to exportation to the US...in compliance with US import laws. So does it really make a difference?
    Yes. The purpose of the import markings established by the GCA of 1968 was to make it possible to do a gun trace. For example a surplus firearm is found at a crime scene - authorities go directly to the importer with the make, model and S/N - the importer gives up the dealer, who in turn gives up the first purchaser.

A mark which just states "England" or "English Made" would serve little purpose as far as a trace is concerned.

There may well be some other statutes or regulations that require products to be marked as to country of origin.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I didn't attend but heard that there were a large number of military rifles for sale for VERY reasonable prices, mostly SMLEs, Mausers, etc. Needless to say the table(s) looked like the Christmas sale at Macys. However, word got out that they sold a rifle to a non-member (a real no-no at WAC gunshows) and they were expelled from the show.
    It was feeding frenzy with Mauser variants and SMLEs going for $100. I paid $175 for my No4 and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing more. They also had some grenade launcher No1s with the nasty looking wire wrapped stocks but I passed on those. This kind of thing keeps me going back to gun shows. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jgaynor View Post
    Yes. The purpose of the import markings established by the GCA of 1968 was to make it possible to do a gun trace. For example a surplus firearm is found at a crime scene - authorities go directly to the importer with the make, model and S/N - the importer gives up the dealer, who in turn gives up the first purchaser.

A mark which just states "England" or "English Made" would serve little purpose as far as a trace is concerned.

There may well be some other statutes or regulations that require products to be marked as to country of origin.
    Not quite. When they lifted restrictions on the importation of surplus firearms is when they required the importers info be marked in a prominant place on the firearm. (The so-called billboard marking) That happened in 1986, not 1968. Prior to that surplus arms were marked in compliance with country of origin only. ENGLAND on the buttsocket goes back to that pre-86 timeframe.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    It was applied in the UK prior to exportation to the US...in compliance with US import laws. So does it really make a difference?
    Huge difference.....and you've got the basic facts a bit sideways. Great Britain had a requirement to mark EVERY military firearm that was exported out of the country. Such firearms were marked "England", were proof-stamped (usually with "BNP"), and the data on the cartridge used (".303 2.222" 18.5 TONS PER[]"). The British Export Mark preceded the 86 NFA by nearly 50 years, and is common on most Enfields in the US and Canada.

Oh......and JB, there are M1917's and M1 Garands originally sent under Lend-Lease that have those same British Export Marks when they were shipped back to the US of A!
    Last edited by John Kepler; 11-16-2013 at 05:25.