Thread: Frankford Arsenal M73B1

1. Default Frankford Arsenal M73B1

Does anyone have any documentation or history on the FA made M73B1 scopes?
    Thanks!

Really hard information on this variation is difficult to come by. One of Peter Senich's books has a copy of a shop drawing of a late M73B1 marked "FA" on the data plate. The drawing dates from late 43 which was right about the time Ordnance learned that the massive order of M73's (Lyman Alaskan's) was not going to be forthcoming in time for A4 production.

What would be very helpful would be some actual photographs of an "FA" M73B1 scope and markings.

I believe one source suggested that serial numbering started over. On the other hand the few M73's that are known, the M81's and M82's appear to start in the low 30,XXX right where the M73B1 should have ended. The French made M73B2 also has a s/n range in the mid 30,XXX.
    So pics if possible would add alot.

Regards,

Jim
    Last edited by jgaynor; 10-04-2013 at 11:56. Reason: zdd

3. Default

The only one I have ever seen pics of was a Weaver 440 with markings added to the adj. plate. IMHO the scope was longer than an M73B1 by 1/2 inch

Went back and checked Poyer's "Collecting the American Sniper Rifle". On page 98 there is a picture of a Frankford Arsenal M73B1 attributed to Larry Reynolds. The picture only shows the data plate and adjustment knobs. The s/n appears to be roll stamped and is a low three digit number.

5. Default

That is the same scope I saw pics of when I asked the length I was quoted as being longer than an M73B1 and there was no more communication about it. I have a theory that someone took a Weaver 440 scope and the adj. plate from a weaver 330-M8 these were unmarked as the markings were on the tube and combined them. Someone marked the blank plate with the F.A. markings and Wahla ultra rare F.A. M73B1 probably the only one ever made! Just my opinion here but I sure would like to examine it close up with the paint removed from the name plate lettering. If anyone has a pic of this scope please post it here.
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 10-07-2013 at 08:22.

Johnny thanks for your response. I was bothered by the stamped s/n since all the other M73B1 variants used electro-penciled numbers. Also the fact that they started a new s/n series although I have to admit the same thing was done when Wollensak started to manufacture M82's.

Other that the engineering drawing in Senich I'm beginning to wonder if these existed at all.

I do have a photograph of another M73B1 where the data plate looks like a complete phony. The markings look ok but the corners are square as if cut in a metal shear and never finished.

Regards,
    Jim
    Last edited by jgaynor; 10-07-2013 at 01:50.

7. Default

Guys,
    Hello and thank you for the replies. I am sorry I am just getting back here but have had some basement flooding issues. I own this scope and was hoping to get more information on it. I will be happy to take detailed pics and post them when I have my house situation back in order and can dig to the back of the safe and get it out.
    Thanks,
    Brian

Brian, I hope everything works out with the flooding. Been there myself and it can be a mess. When you get a chance to take some pics for us I would be great if you could include a ruler in a few of the images.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by jgaynor; 10-15-2013 at 10:04.