Default Model 1903 upper band hole alignment

I want to install the upper band on a replacement stock without the drilled hole. What is the best way to drill the hole so the upper band screw aligns properly through the hole with the upper band in place?

2. Default

I've done several by drilling a small pilot hole. I do it all by eye, haven't used any jigs. I use a drill bit smaller than the threaded hole in the band. Put the band on the stock, put the drill through the threaded hole, line it up carefully and drill through to the hole on the other side of the band. If you're successful, take the band off and drill the pilot hole big enough to fit the screw. I've never missed, emphasis on "line it up carefully," but I'm hoping I drilled the pilot hole small enough that I could re-drill another. Others will hopefully have better methods.

I will slightly amend what Jim in Salt Lake recommends. Drill the small pilot hole only halfway through the stock. Then turn the stock over and drill the rest of the pilot hole through from that side. With a little careful eyeball alignment, the pilot holes will meet in the middle of the stock. Each pilot hole half can then act to guide the drill bit to the opposite hole.

The proper way to drill the hole is to use a drill press. Place a drill bit in the chuck. Then cinch a nail on the drill press bed with the point sticking up. Position the nail point so that it aligns with the point of the drill bit. Place the stock on the drill press bed with one band hole resting on the nail point. Then drill the hole through from the opposite side.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Thanks John and Jim. I thought about using a small diameter drill but couldn't figure out how to get the best alignment procedure.

5. Default

Dang, I like that drill press method, I'm trying that next time.