1. Default Mystery missing finish on DOT 1944

Mystery missing finish on DOT 1944

I had an opportunity to examine a DOT 1944 K98 that seems to have an unusually missing metal finish. All numbered parts match and the metal work and the stock and handguard show almost no wear and tear and don’t seem to have led a hard life.

But, almost all of the ‘blue’ is just plain missing. Not worn off, not buffed or chemically treated, just missing, like it flaked or evaporated. Even under the handguard and under the wood line of the stock. The only blue left is a couple inches on the bottom of the barrel where it is covered by the stock tip and bayonet bar, the barrel channel of the tip, a bit on the bottom flat of the receiver, in a thin line stripe just above the wood line, a bit in the finger loop of the trigger guard and in a few seams and markings.

The bolt handle has a little patina from handling as well as the exposed barrel between the bands from grasping at the 'order'. The metal work of this rifle is not 'bright', just naked.

It seems to be a similar situation to the finish falling off of early production gas cylinders of US M1 rifles.

So what gives?

M1 gas cylinders are stainless steel, are they not?
    Never saw what you describe on a Mauser (of any kind) and they are my main collection interest.

Weren't some of those DOT 44's made so late in 44 that they weren't assembled until 45 sometime? And when they were assembled late, and some were phosphate. I know some of those the finish looks really light.

I also know I have seen a p38 once that had no finish on it and the machining was very crude. I got it direct from the vet and he said he liberated it from the assembly line at a factory. Hence the reason it wasn't finished. He said there were crates of them sitting there.

Now in this case most likely, I would assume someone has removed the bluing. Maybe someone started to make a sporter out of it and stripped the finish and then lost interest? I know many of these were made into custom hunting rifles back in the day and before bluing, you would have to remove the original finish.

I know I have stripped bluing off pistols and I think I used vineager to do it. I can't remember. But you literally put it in the chemical and the blueing came right off within minutes and it was just bare metal just like how you described.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 10-08-2013 at 01:27.

You know after thinking about it today, can you post pics of the rifle? I am just sort of curious if it isn't a phosphate mauser? Some of those finishes were so light in color that one could possibly think it was just the color of the metal.