1. Default How legit is this A4?

This A4 is by my local Cabelas. The stock seems to be a replacement no P or cartouche just a K in cutout. The barrel date is 8-44 with no punch mark underneath. Serial is 4997972. The mount has no markings and not beveled all the way across back which leads me to believe it is a repo. Also screws are not staked. Rings are blued which says not correct. The scope is a 330 M8 from my research is not correct for a late rifle. I am guessing it is a real A4 that maybe cam from CMP as without mount or scope that someone put back together. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Gun-L...dsPerPage%3D40
    Last edited by shoot308; 09-18-2013 at 04:12.

Do not forget that this item is relatively hot in the competition game, each and every year there are four events that are sniper matches, they are team matches and they are held in Oklahoma, Camp Butner NC, Phoenix Az, and of course Camp Perry Oh. last Aug there were hundreds of competitors all with cloned A4-s Mausers, Swedes, Russian, Brit, USMC 41's and more
    It is becoming more and more popular. there are specific rules to create one but it is so popular that this is probably one of them. My only concern would be the scope if it is a Gibbs scope i would be suspect, seems that the Gibbs scopes are just not what they were meant to be

Quote Originally Posted by shoot308 View Post
    This A4 is by my local Cabelas. The stock seems to be a replacement no P or cartouche just a K in cutout. The barrel date is 8-44 with no punch mark underneath. Serial is 4997972. The mount has no markings and not beveled all the way across back which leads me to believe it is a repo. Also screws are not staked. Rings are blued which says not correct. The scope is a 330 M8 from my research is not correct for a late rifle. I am guessing it is a real A4 that maybe cam from CMP as without mount or scope that someone put back together. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Gun-L...dsPerPage%3D40
    I'd say your assessment is pretty good. Also note the corners of the scope base are rounded off. This is typical for a commercial base. GI bases are square with a very slight chamfer around the upper edge. The "Weaver 330 Scope - M.8" was a commercial scope. The best information we have on them is some were procured and used along with standard commercial Weaver 330C's on very early production.

JIm

4. Default

The rifle is a rebuilt A4 with a commercial base rings and scope.

5. Default

Thanks for the replies. Is the serial number in any ones list? The 8 of 44 barrel date is kind of questionable to me.

home built parts gun, non G.I. parts and finishes...
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot308 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Is the serial number in any ones list? The 8 of 44 barrel date is kind of questionable to me.
    It is now .
    An 8-44 barrel is a replacement. Although the last few A4's did not dribble out of Remington until the summer of 44 the rifles were assembled much earlier using 12-43 and 1-44 barrels. The delay in shipping was due to the difficulty in getting scopes from Weaver.

Can you share with us how much Cabelas is asking? From the description it sounds like someone thinks they have a real find on their hands.

Regards,
    Jim

8. Default

They have $3,999 on it. It came from another store and the description was written by the store that bought it not Richfield store.

Thanks, Pretty high all things considered. I would definitely want to see a close up of the bolt handle notch.