Default should I drill and add nos cheek pad screw's my M1-D stock

My rifle stock has never been drilled. I got two correct new old stock screws, should I drill and install screws ? I recently shot it for the first time and the pad slides forward. Will it make it more "correct"? Please share installation tip's on it...thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Of the two that I have owned, careful lacing of the rest, by the book, worked for me with no slipping. So far, I have never encountered a M1D with the screws in place. Of course these were collector guns and who knows where they have been.

Quote Originally Posted by razors edge View Post
    My rifle stock has never been drilled. I got two correct new old stock screws, should I drill and install screws ? I recently shot it for the first time and the pad slides forward. Will it make it more "correct"? Please share installation tip's on it...thanks

if all you need to do is stop slipping all you need to do is take the pad and stock to a shoe repair and have a simple matching leather strap around back, i did this to several old cheek pieces, it looks good, no damage to stock and it works, tight laces and 1 1/4 wide piece around back, cost me ten bucks at shoe repair, cheek pad stays in place

4. Default

You need to lace the pad tighter and more forward and the screws are not needed. You can always add the screws but you cannot unscrew the holes once you make them.

5. Default

The next collector/owner/custodian may not like the look of the pad - and few real M1Ds are shooters anymore. And I would bet he would enjoy empty holes in an otherwise pristine stock even less!
    I would lace it tighter, maybe try some rosin. As others have said, the screws are not generally thought to be necessary, and were not always used. CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Shop an original stock with it done.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...wood-pile.-%29
    "Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

7. Default

I put a piece of bicycle tube under the leather, can't be seen and no more slip.... and no perm damage