Default Help: M4 bayo catches seized/frozen in place

I just picked up a Utica produced M4 bayonet for the M1 Carbine. Not in bad overall shape except for the fact that the catches are seized/frozen in place. I’ve sprayed them a few times with ballistol (the only aerosol I had available) and it really hasn’t done a thing.

Can anyone share if this has happened to them and what they did to free the catches up?

Thanks much.

TJ429

I would get a penetrating oil on the mechanism. Do you see any signs of rust around the catch? Kroil is my favorite for getting deep into places. If you don't have that you should be able to get something at the local auto parts store.

I use Kroil (as sac troop suggested) around the catches, and then, holding the grip in my left hand, tap the catches with a plastic headed hammer. The intent is to get a little movement to allow the oil to penetrate fully. Then put the bayonet aside for a day, and repeat until the catches free up.

2+ kroil

You might mix a little red ATF with the Kroil. Red transmission fluid really works well.

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately I haven’t found Kroil over here in Germany and the company won’t ship to me. The bayo lug catch may have to wait until I get back to the States.

Thanks again.

Ted

You could always try LIGHTLY rapping them with a hammer after letting them soak with PB Blaster, or some other penetrating oil.

Those Germans must have a favorite penetrating oil they like to use. As them what they like to use on rusty lug nuts.

Is it a first edition M4? Then the pins in pommel are tapered and the underside of pommel ( blade pointed down) will have the small diameter thru holes visible and small pin punch should be able to tap out the current pins. May want to use electric heat gun to warm pommel to assist in loosening.

Refer to Cunningham's "bayonet points" on the M4 to confirm tapered pin usage.

Good luck!