Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

You used the word "nostalgia" in your reasons for shooting this rifle. If this is because of your Dad, I would consider what he would say about upgrading "his" rifle. And I am pretty sure, if he could, he would tell you it's yours now, do what you think is best! My father passed on unexpectedly, leaving me an old Blue Sky M1 I bought him many years ago, just so he could have a "shooter" M1 on his farmstead - he was an old WWII Paratrooper Sgt. It had a pitted barrel and an UGLY birch stock - and was a 5 Million 1950's production gun - but he loved to shoot it, and it was reasonably accurate out to the 1-200 yards he shot it. We talked about how Some Day I would get it rebarreled for him, and get it in a nice walnut stock - but he passed before that happened.

So, once I brought it home, I decided to make it something Dad would really be proud to show anyone. It got a near new condition Danish VAR barrel (shines like a mirror inside) to replace the blue sky 1965 SA sewer pipe and a beautiful WWII profiled walnut stock to replace the beat up birch. It's a beauty, now. And I think, if he were here, Dad would be thrilled at how "his rifle" turned out.

If the spare barrel was handed down with the rifle from your Dad - I would think he would EXPECT you to use it, when it was needed to keep you happy with the rifle! This assumes the "family heirloom" aspect is the most important thing.

If, instead of nostalgia, you are worried abouit Collector value and care about originality - then I would pull the barrel that is on it currently and attempt to find an excellent condition original barrel WITH THE SAME DATE and MARKINGS - or at least very close, that had very good muzzle and throat readings. 1952 barrels are still pretty available, I think. Then the M1 is properly "restored" to "indistinguishable from original". The same as if a US Armory Depot Level Shop did it. Just make sure whoever does it can do that without damaging or marring it. CC

PS - If it really is about this gun being from your Dad, and if you are a little spiritual/metaphysical, go somewhere quiet where you can be alone and think about your Dad - and ask him, in your mind. Then go with the feeling you get. I know my Dad would have been whole hog for me making it better - and prettier! CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 09-09-2013 at 11:00.
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Shot it...and it still holds good at 100yrds. I used a 150 grain box of bullets. ...scope was darn near on. Thanks for the push guy's! I also unwrapped the extra barrel. ..i
    It's a 6-51 barrel with partial cross canon and numbers at the top if the barrel.

3. Default

Brand New, NOS 3/52 M1 Barrel on Ebay right now! $229.95, Buy It Now at $299.95! Just for referance. CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

4. Default

Gentlemen, All genuine M1D barrels were from the same timeframe - from later 1951 to 1952 if my memory serves me correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury Krupp View Post
    Have you shot it yet?

If you want a shooter, shoot it then decide.

If you want a collector, don't f*ck with it.

If you want an investment, buy gold.

Maury
    Boy Maury have you got that right!! To me the two most overrated investments are guns and houses.

6. Default

Art, I've always said that anyone who proclaims that house, guns, classic cars, Rolex watches and a bunch of other things are "investments" is just trying to justify spending too much money on them. If one likes them it's OK to spend money on them - just be honest about why.