Thread: Faux 03-A4 Sniper

1. Default Faux 03-A4 Sniper

I am thinking I would like a faux 03-A4 sniper rifle for fun and games. SHould I buy one of the new (or used) Gibbs rifles or take a mixmaster 03-A3 and have bolt and stock modified and add a vintage Weaver 330 scope?

2. Default

I would check with Chuckindenver who posts on this board first - he builds them, and can give you a better quality, finished product than the mass production guys. With him you can discuss the build and you have options as to GI barrel/stock, etc. I would rethink the Weaver scope - it was never as good as an Alaskan or an M84. CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 08-06-2013 at 09:46.
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

3. Default

Chuckindenver: Your mailbox is full.
    I was directed to you about having a faux 03-A3 sniper put together. I am a complete newbie and have limited budget. I was looking at the Gibbs rifles or thinking of taking a mixmaster 03-A3 and reworking bolt, etc. Was told to stay away from Weaver 330 scopes, but isn't that what the WW II generic snipers had on them?

Tell me what you do and how much I would be looking at for a no frills shooter.
    Thanks!

I got a gibbs.
    its fine.
    shoots about 2 moa or so with milsurp ammo.
    seems to be holding its value (about a grand).

chuck in Denver would probably be a better choice if only because you can communicate with him.
    Last edited by goo; 08-07-2013 at 03:50.
    "I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round up a flea's ass at 200 meters."

mail box is not full...
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

6. Default

Sorry Chuckindenver. Site said box was full.

only 7 PMs in my mail box...have no idea how i can make it any better????site issues????
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskybound View Post
    {snip} Was told to stay away from Weaver 330 scopes, but isn't that what the WW II generic snipers had on them?
    Yes. The Weaver 330C or its military variants, the M73B1, were the primary scopes for the M1903A4 for most of its service life. A very small number of straight commercial 330C's or 330 Scope -M.8's were used on the earliest rifles. That was followed by a few thousand commercial 330C's with military nomenclature and the serial number electro-penciled on the tube.

The M84 was approved as an alternate in the early to mid 50's. Some variants of the Lyman Alaskan (m73, m81 or m82) may have been used in Korean war. About 1957 Ordnance units were advised that they could equip A4's with remaining M73's, M81's or M82's on an "exhaust stock basis" if either the M73B1 or M84 was not available. Once the M1C and M1D came on line the M1903A4 was reduced to "limited standard" issue for the Army. The USMC created its own variant of the M1C designated the MC 1952 with MC 1 scope (Stith-Kollmorgen 4XD) to replace its M1903A1's and M1903A4's.

If you are looking to replicate the rifle the way it came out of the Remington plant in WW2 some variant of the Weaver 330C or M73B1 is most correct. That said there were several other scopes that were approved but not used (Lyman Alaskan M73) or used in small numbers or experimentally (OPL M73B2, Frankford Arsenal M73B1).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Jim
    Last edited by jgaynor; 08-08-2013 at 10:45.

9. Default

I think I will soon have a decent Weaver 330 to mount. Just need proper rings.