Thread: Ammo

Default Ammo

Need ID on ammo that I got in a bundle deal ? Head stamp clockwise from 12. / 1944/fs/7.9/ t u with dot in middle c . Bullit has 3crimps on brass strippers. Is this 8mm mauser ? Thanks for your replys. mike

Default Yes...

though a photo would help, the markings and other features you mention make it most likely that your ammunition is Turkish surplus 8mm Mauser - the bullets are likely silvery-colored (cupro-nickel clad steel jackets), and held in the case neck with 3 stab crimps.
    The letters in the headstamp should actually be 'TC', with the Turkish crescent moon.

mhb - Mike, too
    Sancho! My armor!

Sounds like the 8mm Turk stuff. My experience is that the stuff made in the late 30's-early 40's will have cupro-nickle bullets, and the later production (ie. 1951) copper clad. Turk ammo tends to be a bit "hot" (around 3,100fps out of my Turk M38's) but I can't talk squawk about accuracy. There have been frequent complaints about "duds" but I've found that the old, worn firing pin springs in those Turk rifles was the villain. A new, standard poundage Wolf spring would set off EVERY "dud" that came my way.

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    .....Turk ammo tends to be a bit "hot" (around 3,100fps out of my Turk M38's) but I can't talk squawk about accuracy.......
    I find it more than a "bit hot." I am very recoil tolerant but I find the Turkish stuff nothing short of punishing. Shooting Magnum 12 gauge slugs off a bench comes to mind . I bought a couple of hundred rounds of the stuff, shot it all off and promised myself that I would NEVER buy anymore. The WWII and later 196-198 gr. ball was a dream to shoot compared to the Turkish stuff.

As far as I'm concerned you're muy hombre if you enjoy shooting this stuff.
    Last edited by Art; 07-24-2013 at 05:33.