Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1903 MK1 conversions.

1. Default 1903 MK1 conversions.

Is anyone familiar with the process that 1903 MK1's went through to be converted back to 1903 configuration (to the extent they could be)?

I've got a MK1 that has none of the original MK1 accoutrements. I'm wondering what the process for this was. Were the MK1's simply left as is until they required re-arsenalling or were they all sent through the arsenal together to be converted?

Mine has been through Raritan (or at least the stock was) and has an "SA over JFC" cartouche that I can not find any information on.
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-09-2014 at 09:24.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

In the early to mid- 1930s, they had the Mark I parts (cutoff, trigger and sear) removed. I don't know if they were really refurbished, as they had seen relatively little service. I seem to recall that many were issued to the National Guard shortly after.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

somehow, there were some 1903 Mark I rifles that escaped having their Mark I parts replaced. Not all those Mark I rifles with the correct parts that are found today are in original configuration. Most of these have probably been restored with original parts. However, now and then one can stumble across an original Mark I that has all of its original components. I did. The High hump hand guard on this rifle is correct for the month that it was made.

http://s25.photobucket.com/user/Whit...6bcd5.jpg.html

http://s25.photobucket.com/user/Whit...m17-1.jpg.html

5. Default

I have #1106325 that I bought back before computers informed the world what was correct and what wasn't. Was told that it was a rebuild because the barrel date was off from production of the receiver. I don't buy it but so what. Barrel date is SA 7-18. Anyway mine very well may have been re-parked as the finish is excellent and almost a greenish black color. It has all the original parts on receiver. Haven't looked at it closely in years. Agree that some may have and some may have been replaced by collectors. Being that many of these were not issued to late in the game or at all, question how much detail was given to changing out the parts on a design that was neither issued in mass or at all, and was not going to be upgraded into a working functional weapon system? Nice pictures Fred of a very nice rifle. Regards, John.

Picked up a CMP Mark 1 a couple of years ago. Still had the original Mk 1 cutoff parts.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Thanks John. It seems to me that your rifle having a barrel that is about one year earlier than the receiver would indicate that the barrel was likely pulled for assembly while the rifle was being put together from the bin of barrels that the armory had in surplus. Anyway, that's the way that I see it. Fred

8. Default

Nice looking MK1, Fred
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

9. Default

Fred kind of what I thought. Can't remember who had such a nice data collection but quite a few MK1's near mine had the same barrel date. I bought the rifle quite a while ago and it is nice, but I like yours better. I will have to dig mine out and look at it again. I do not think my stock has as much to look at as yours in the pictures. Love wood that has been pounded with cartouches.

On pictures. I do not have the patience nor drive to become a good photographer. But some of the collectors I have met on line are just awesome. A guy from WA state who collects Mosin Nagants is fabulous with his pictures like yours are. I have a nice place in the country, lots of creative backdrops to use, not that your necessarily trying to impress others with your background scenery, but sometimes it adds so much to the picture, at least to me. The other day the greens and late afternoon sun made it almost magical looking outside. Tried to take random shots around the farm to capture the simple beauty of the late afternoon color. It was hot and humid and not very nice out, pretty just the same. Got some ok pics but somehow I just don't capture the scene like your pics or the guy I refer to from MN collecting arena. I will not loose sleep over this but am envious of your photography skills. Again thanks for sharing your rifle pics. Funny I have no real appreciation for the MK1 models, but I make an exception for yours. Regards, John.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    Nice looking MK1, Fred
    Thanks Calfed!