Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    Actually I ment how the sported one was shooting with the ammo you used it looks good to me.
    Thanks, Bud. It does shoot pretty well, but to use it in the "OPEN" category it needs to be in a military stock
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

What got you hooked on Swedes Calfed. I always find it interesting how guys get into different rifles. I got hooked on 03A3's based on stories from G-PA who was WWII vet in 2nd Marines.

3. Default

I became interested in surplus rifles when I was introduced to the vintage military silhouette matches at my club. These matches are shot at metal silhouettes at 200 to 500 meters...chickens @ 200, pigs @ 300, turkeys @ 385 and rams at 500. My sons and I quickly became interested in shooting that match.

I immediately noticed that the Swiss K31 and the Swedish M96 were the two most successful rifles being shot at the match.

Here is a picture of the silhouette range at my club.

Swiss K31's were still available for $99 at a local sporting goods store at that time and that was my first surplus rifle. However, my mother's side of the family comes from Karlstadt, Sweden, so I have an affinity for things Swedish and as time went on, I gradually acquired Swedish Mausers and eventually became interested in all vintage military rifles.

We also shoot these same rifles in a " long range" vintage military match. This is a match shot at paper bullseye targets at 300, 500, 600, and 800 yards.

This match is shot at the 1000 yard range at the top of this satellite picture. You can see the silhouette range, with its staggered berms, in the center of the range complex.

http://binged.it/LRzsfF

Longest range we have officially is 500 45 minutes away. 200 15 away. The 500 acre beanfield across from moms works very well in fall. We found we could walk rounds in at 1200. Tried 1500 once and wasted a lot of ammo. 4 x 4 plywood backer was totally covered by front sight.

The Swiss rifles are top notch and they shoot an accurate round. Good choice still not cheap to shoot but what is these days.

5. Default

I reload most of my ammo now, so that cuts down on some of the cost.

The Swede is plenty accurate, but suffers from the light bullets. Sometimes the rams just do not want to fall over. The Swiss shoots .30 caliber bullets that are heavy enough to reliably knock over the rams.

Just this morning I was at a fellows house to pick up a stock. He kind of wanted to show off his stuff and he showed a M38 that was the best example I have ever seen. Not a 96/38. The rifle was perfect in every way. Not only that he had a completely intact and original IHC (5.1) that he got as luck of the draw from the DCM.
    Everyone that loves Swedes's has a story or two. The first rifle I bought out here was a Swede I picked up at an estate sale. After ten rounds I was smitten and have been ever since. Kind of taken with the Swiss also in the last few years. But,if I see a nice Persian Mauser for less than $400 I'm all over that too!
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.