Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

The law is the law, but it is not always equally applied. A couple of years back an AK47 turned up for sale. There were no papers, but the finder was an attorney with a large firm. With a little help it was determined that it was probably a Vietnam bring-back, and had been registered during the 1968 amnesty. After being registered it had changed hands several times in the ensuing 45 years, but with no paperwork. With a little help the original registration was found, and the finder was able to get the AK registered in his name. Federal law was broken numerous times, but in the end a little help from your friends was all it took.

I can see here that some people have not talked to any ATF agents before. I have talked with many of them over the years. The last one was about a Makarov pistol that had no serial number or even maker ID on it at all. The only thing they cared about was if it was made before 1968. As it was made before 1968 they stated it's not a problem at all. That was talking with one on the phone and later with one in person. Both said the same thing. Now could this frame have been a lunch pail special and never had a number applied? Anything is possible.

3. Default

A good friend use to buy very worn Colt Pocket Hammerless pistols and refinish them in rust blue. At this time they could be found in quantity in the Gun List for very reasonable prices. He had a collector's license, so shipping then to him was no problem. He found a couple and called the seller.The seller wouldn't ship them as he thought it would be illegal. My friend ask him to call the BATF to have them tell him it was OK to ship a Curio and Relic to a license holder. Sure enough, the BATF agent told him it would have to go through a dealer. My friend ask him to call back and get the agents name and number, which the seller did. My friend then called the BATF agent, read them the section on the 50 year rule, and the BATF agent agreed that the pistols could indeed be shipped.

It depends on the BATF agent you talk to. Get it in writing.

4. Default

Serial numbers were not required on firearms prior to 1968, but if made after 1898 and ever had a serial number, they came under the Federal Firearms Act of 1938, which the Model 1911 in question does.

The law is the law, regardless of what anyone says...including a BATF agent. I agree, IF one would be interested in keeping such an example, he should contact the BATF through USPS, not email. That way, at least the BATF reply would have a chance of appearing to be the bureau's official response. However, phone calls, emails and urban rumors wouldn't be much defense, should a person have to give an account as to why he possessed an illegal firearm receiver.

I understand interpretation of the law comes into play. Anytime I hear the words interpretation and law in the same sentence, I sense that is going to cost someone a lot of money to make their case. And for what? A receiver with no collector value at all. Doesn't make sense to even pursue it (to me).