Default What do you do when you have them all?

Last weekend I found a really rough but undamaged Japanese bayonet at the gunshow. $125 which was high by my estimates. Then I pulled it out of the scabbard and saw the Triangle on the blade. I offered $100 and walked off with it. I had never seen one before and I honestly check every Japanese bayonet I see.

I looked a minute ago and while reviewing the list of markings I realised.....I think I have every arsenal mark....atleast all the ones listed here. Not sure what to do now that there aren't anymore marks to look for Needless to say, I feel "accomplished" atleast on my bayonet collection

Here is the site for the markings.
    http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Well done Guamsst. Somehow that is every collectors dream and nightmare at the same time. The thrill of the chase is what drives us. I bet it will not stop you still checking out the markings on every Japanese bayonet you get to handle. Regardless of what the books say you may just find the exception that will prove the books wrong.
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis

I will definitely check every mark. I have a few that aren't really supposed to exist if you ask the average collector. I really need to get into the bigger books dedicated to the different Japanese bayonet variations. For instance I have a Naval Bowie tip bayonet that looks home made, with rough grinding marks on the tip. I thought it was a fake at first but then when I put it next to a known correct model it was a perfect match to the profile and I got the thing cheaper than it should have been even if it were a known fake. Also have a late war trainer wih straight quillion. thats one out of probably 100 or more trainers I have looked at. I used to love training bayonets until everyone decided they were "RARE AND COLLECTIBLE" and thus worth another $25-$50 over a regular bayonet.

Oh well, I already have my eye on a VERY nice rubberized sheath Special Naval Landing Forces bowie. He wants $350 though. I may have to work a trade or something. Unfortunately he knows how nice it is.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Well it's very simple, now you look for bayonets with the same mark in better condition and trade UP. That's how I got every rifle I ever wanted.

5. Default

When the US worked the bugs out of the M1 rifle we said what to do now? Adopt the M14 rifle.
    You have many choices; German, Italian, French, Chinese.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Or you can buy a rifle for each bayonet

Really odd, but the next weekend I picked up another one from the same manufacturer....always seem to hit them in twos when I finally find the rare stuff.

Keep the best sell the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    Keep the best sell the rest.
    Following that logic, I will have an IRON guard M1880 Hunting Knife (1/1000) for sale soon, at a very reasonable price. Blade is pretty awful, but hilt and handle (especially the SWP/1881 stamp) are quite nice. There will be a later scabbard with it, which has had some repair, but - in a display case, sheathed - it would make a good starter/filler for the person who did not have one. Came with a Varney scabbard which I am keeping, to go with my better iron guard.