Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have one receiver in the 13000 serial # range that is cracked behind the locking lug recess. Can't say if it was done by the 2200fps load or somebody else's hot load. I can see that it appears to be brittle or overly hardened. In fact a bit of the threads inside the ring broke off when I took the barrel out. It won't take a file and I read that Sedgley wouldn't modify a Krag action that wouldn't. In many cases of 03 failure I believe escaping gas did most of the wrecking, and as others said above, that's less likely to happen with the head surrounded by steel.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Default

You hit the nail on the head. Most of the recorded failures were caused by excessive temperature during the forging process. There was no temperature measuring capability, color of the metal was the only indication of temperature. WWI took many of the experienced workers, so less skilled personnel, coupled with increased demand resulted in less quality control. Hatcher's book covers this in great detail.

Heat treat was not the real issue, temperature was much better controlled during the heat treat process.

Most of the "explosive" failures were initiated by bad ammo. I have fired some "WW18" head stamped ammo, and some of it was downright scary, the softest brass I have ever seen.

Default cracked recievers How about....

From a pawnshop out in Oklahoma.
    Krag receiver, complete.
    Except for the part that stayed with the barrel when it blew off.
    No story, no stock, barrel, any other stuff.
    One day I will learn how to, and post a photo.
    Paul
    Houston, Texas