Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    With all due respect, Jim, I think the discussion was descending into "personalities" and should be been locked, which it was.
    AMEN .......................

Yes, the thread was rightfully locked, but...

There was a big enough "problem", or should we say "issue", to stop manufacture during "the war to end all wars", but when the war was over - "Well, lets just scrap 'em as they come in for rebuild". That just doesn't sound like solving a "problem", to me. Sounds like the easiest way to deal with an "issue".

Was a total recall just not feasible? We're not talking about scrapping a million rifles, just changing out receivers. I just think that if it was that big of a problem, the rifles would have been turned in, little by little, during the inter-war years, until the LN receivers were all gone. Weren't the Armories looking for work anyway? We had 2.5 million M1917's that could have been used to arm troops turning in their '03's.

And then, WWII comes along and STOP! No more scrapping receivers! Screw a new barrel on that puppy, give it to a new recruit, and put his butt on the firing line!

Does it stop there? NO! As soon as Uncle Sam was through with them, he figured he would let civilians have a whack at the LN issue. That was the real government LN test!

And the CMP sells them, to this day. Big problem, huh?

Well I guess I'm guilty...

OK, funs over.

On a serious note, I comment on a lot of '03's, on another forum, where people are generally asking for value. If the rifle in question is a LN, I simply say, "Serial #'s below 800,000 for SA and 285,507 for RIA are considered "low number" due to an issue concerning the forging of the receiver, and are considered not safe to shoot." No point in taking it any further. If more info is requested, I say "Google it!"

Hey, how 'bout this one?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike D; 06-01-2013 at 08:00. Reason: sp