Thread: Range Report

Default Range Report

Went to Island Lake Range (in Brighton, MI) yesterday with Butlersrangers to work on sighting in my new Garand. I also shot my 1898 rifle (S/N 132598) just to put some rounds through her. We shot at 50 yards today. Since my rifle is currently sighted in for 200 yards, and I didn't want to change it because this is my National Match rifle... I just compensated. The target shown was a three 5 shot volley (15 total on paper). Ammo used was my usual competition load: Hornady 220 grain round nosed bullets over 40.0 grains of 4350. Point of aim was the bottom of the 8 ring (bottom edge of the black). Considering I'm not the steadiest shot these days... I think the results are pretty great!

I think you'd get someone's attention!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Nice shootin'!!
    NRA Life Member

220 gr's are not effected by a "stiff crosswind" too much!

Apparently not, because the horizontal dispersion is no more than the vertical. 142 x 150!

A bit of further clarification please - what model of rear sight was used, and was this "from position", or off a bench?

Paul, that's good shooting! And with a load that is probably pretty close, ballistic-ally speaking, to what was used in Cuba. Since you can draw a square around the shots, it looks like you aren't getting any vertical stringing either.

jn

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Apparently not, because the horizontal dispersion is no more than the vertical. 142 x 150!

A bit of further clarification please - what model of rear sight was used, and was this "from position", or off a bench?
    Dick, this was with the 1902 rear sight (peep up), and off the bench.

For what it's worth... I agree that 220s are not affected much by cross wind, especially at 50 yards... and there was no compensation for windage. In contrast, the Garand, shooting 150gr FMJ needed several clicks of windage adjustment!

Here's wishing your Camp Perry target this year looks about the same! Since that was a 6 o'clock hold, I take it your used a center hold last year at Camp Perry?
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Here's wishing BOTH of our targets look like this at Camp Perry this year, Bob! By the way, yes, I aimed for the peg last year... of course, I was not feeling great (my sugar was low and I had nothing to eat) and I really didn't know what I was doing. This year, I am going to be much better prepared, and I'm going to practice too.