Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just did (see other thread) - no match.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

2. Default

Herschel
    I did not mean to imply that by changing the knobs on the older Lyman 48 that you could convert from ½ MOA to ¼ MOA. I do not believe that it would work. I thought that the knobs could be changed so as to be a little larger and make changing a little easier. The early 48 had a rounded rather coarse left handed thread. To convert from 1 MOA to ½ MOA one only needed to change the knob. All that was necessary was to add detents to the knob. If you look at Brophy’s book you can see a picture of the 1/3 minute knobs created by Lyman for the Olympic shooters. The detents are very close together and I believe that to try to make them closer for ¼ minute adjustment would run them together. The post war update to the 48 changed the elevation thread to a much finer pitch and was right handed. On the older sights one revolution of the elevation knob raised the elevation five minutes. On the newer sights, one revolution only moved the sight three MOA. This change created some confusion among shooters because to raise the elevation on the older sight one rotated the knob in the CW direction while on the newer sights; to raise elevation you rotated the knob in the CCW direction. .The same change was made to the windage knob also. The early windge knobs did not have a scale and windage was measured in “points” on the gallows arm scale. On the later sights thes graduations were in minutes. A great improvement in the later sights was that on the windage knob a scale was added in MOA. On the very latest version, directional arrows were added. It looks to me as if the 48 on the pictured sporter is a 1/4 MOA sight-probably a later model.
    I am not a Lyman 48 expert – only a long time user and these are my personal observations.
    Last edited by Cosine26; 05-08-2013 at 10:18.

Blog Entries

Cosine26, You may not be an expert on the Lyman 48 but you are ahead of me. I just happen to have a lot of books that are useful in answering questions from time to time.

4. Default

Thanks Herschel.