Thread: Clyde Barrow's Krag

Default Clyde Barrow's Krag

Just watching the Beatty-Dunnaway movie of BONNIE AND CLYDE and it caused me to scroll though some historic photos on the Internet and I was surprised to see him posing with a shotgun and a Krag... By the looks of it a full length rifle still in military condition. I wonder if anyone has heard anything about the use of the Krag in their hands? My guess is it was just a backup or for show, and never used, because I can hardly imagine a less useful firearm for crime.

I always understood the BAR was one of Clyde's most favorite guns but why would you consider a Krag a less than useful firearm for crime?

Clyde and his guns: http://texashideout.tripod.com/guns.html
    NRA Life Member

I've seen those pictures too. The Krag probably came from the same place as Clyde's BARs. The gang liked to hit National Guard Armories. I can see the carbine being useful in some of the situations they found themselves in, but a rifle? Maybe someone in the gang just liked Krags.

jn

One of the lawmen involved in the final shoot out/ambush, Hinton, called his Congressman and obtained a B.A.R. on loan from the Army, along with a "...back seat full of ammunition." Clyde's stolen BAR in the photo probably was not in the car when Bonnie and Clyde were killed

Texas Ranger Frank Hamer used a .35 Remington model 8 auto loader with a special "police only" (!) 20 rd. magazine purchased from Peace Officer Equipment of St. Joseph, Mo.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 04-22-2013 at 03:30.

5. Default

The heck with the BAR! I'll take the Ford he's standing in front of!

Better shot now that I found it. Rick B

https://www.google.com/search?q=clyd...ml%3B565%3B720

Blog Entries

I thought he used a Colt Monitor.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

10. Default

why not a krag? look at clydes's hardwear. the man knew a good gun when he seen one.