Default Fish hook style rifle sling hooks

I have a rifle with" fish hook" style sling swivels that are on a rifle that is over 60 years old. Can anyone give me the history of this style? I was told they are Winchester made and another says they are Savage style. They appear to be of a hardened spring steel and are sharply tapered to a point that passes through the eyelet style stud on the forearm and toe of the stock and fit a 1 inch sling.

Yup . . . . . Winchester style hooks for sling. --Jim

Thank you gentleman for the information. They are not on a Winchester rifle right now but I have a vintage Model 70 that they may hang from in the near future!

those type sling hooks are proper on some of the old Win levers........ they are NOT proper for a pre64 mod 70.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

I have that style on 2 of my Win. mod. 54'a. and on at least three Rem. Mod. 30's. You can tell by the shape of the eylets if they use the hooks, they do not have flat sides like detachable 'loop' swivel's. So I do not think they were exclusive to Win. but may have been made by another company, sold to the public and manufacters. Stoeger's 1939 catalog had them for sale at .60 and the bases at .50. Had a base that dovetailed into the barrel and three other types. (pp. 331) Thay are also shown in the Stoeger 1932 catalog, same prices and parts.
    Last edited by dave; 03-17-2013 at 08:56.

7. Default

I've got that style sling on a couple of my BSA Martini rifles. I believe they're shown in some of my British books on marksmanship/small-bore rifles.

They are very British and European!

Blog Entries

They are for a sling used simply as a carrying s trap

10. Default

This is a period photo showing the eyelets and carrying strap. The metal forend cap or barrel band had the same type eyelet attached to it. During the time Winchester produced most of the lever action rifles this was a special order item. Later as the bolt action rifles came into use there was a transition to the sling swivels and adjustable sling.