Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    That may be true of firing a luger... but a .45 does headspace on the case mouth. A .45 that doesn't properly headspace could result in a release of potentially hazardous gasses... just the same as a improperly headspaced 30-06. The best bet IMHO is to stay away from roll-crimps. Lee has a factory crimp die for .45 ACP which forms a proper crimp and resizes the case from expansion, creating a cartridge that should never jam or foul. It's the only crimp I use and I've never had a problem!
    A 9mm Luger headspaces on the the case mouth also, but just like the .45 ACP with a variety of case lengths, the extractor is holding the case and very seldom if ever headspaces perfectly on the end of the chamber.. Just a tiny bit too long and the pistol doesn't lock up properly. The Luger and the Model 1911 style pistol are "controlled feed". The cartridge is held in place long before it fully chambers, and if the cartridge is too short (as in the piece written by Julian Hatcher), it headspaces on the extractor. The extractor will hold the cartridge in it's correct position for firing.

Headspace on a .30-06 cartridge is another matter. If there is too much headspace in a .30-06, the front of the cartridge case clings to the chamber during firing, letting the thick web of the case which didn't expand move back, possibly causing a head separation, leaking gas back into the rifle action.

I agree that taper crimps are much easier to control, as you are essentially smoothing out the flare in the case rather than rolling it in.

Amazing ! You ask a simple question about 45 ACP and you get
    advice for 30-06.

Yes, you should crimp, otherwise recoil will inch the bullet forward
    jamming the mechanism.
    Taper crimp for pistols because they headspace at case mouth
    Roll or taper for revolver.

3. Default

Yes, but Johnny P's post is right on the mark in terms of what happens in the real world with the little straight walled semi auto cases, very nicely and concisely illustrated in words.
    Last edited by Hefights; 03-11-2013 at 05:47.

I'll take all the info I can get. As with intel. it could be a little confusing at times but it is always better to have too much info rather than not enough IMHO> Thanks all.

5. Default

Take Johnny P's post to the bank, that is exactly how it works. Further, the .45 ACP cases shorten with use, not stretch. It makes for the best of all worlds. John Browning was so much a genius and ahead of his time, throw in the proven stopping power, and that's why the .45 ACP lives on in great popularity.

If you can get, and get used to using Bullseye powder in the .45 ACP, the one that was originally used to load factory ammo, it will shoot any type of bullet with exceptional accuracy and meters great, the only issue is it burns dirty, which does not bother me very much.

The cool thing about Bullseye is how many full charges of it you can load into a pistol case - which is why I quit using it many years ago, but it's not a bad propellant. The importance of a good roll crimp in magnum revolver handloads will become apparent when bullets back out of their cases during recoil and lock-up the cylinder.
    Taper crimping 45ACP becomes interesting when you have to change the (cast) bullet seating depth so your handloads will feed reliably in 1911s from different manufacturers. I didn't mean to ramble but this thread jogs my memory a bit.

7. Default

"The cool thing about Bullseye is how many full charges of it you can load into a pistol case" - Same can be said for many of the other premier pistol powders, and in varying degrees, Bullseye is by far not the only powder this applies to. But you have to be careful about sarcasm in reloading discussion, safety first.

Quote Originally Posted by Hefights View Post
    "The cool thing about Bullseye is how many full charges of it you can load into a pistol case" - Same can be said for many of the other premier pistol powders, and in varying degrees, Bullseye is by far not the only powder this applies to. But you have to be careful about sarcasm in reloading discussion, safety first.
    Safety first is why I quit using Bullseye because it's easier for me to spot a double charge when using slower burning propellants.

9. Default

Not using Bullseye is not a safety procedure or practice, its your personal preference. The same issue exists with any number of the better pistol powders. Following normal safety procedures when reloading, such as no distractions, and especially taking that final step of viewing all the charged cases in the tray under a bright light, prior to bullet seating will prevent double charging. The progressive presses like the one I use have additional safeguards.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    Amazing ! You ask a simple question about 45 ACP and you get
    advice for 30-06.
    What simple question did you ask that you got advice for .30-06?