Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kb466 View Post
    John,
    Really appreciate your taking the time to check. One more question-- are there any other USMC rifles in or near 1009445? I will get the two rifles out tomorrow and try to take some photos. Thanks again!
    Bill M.
    Oooo! That's a nice rifle. You should be justly proud.

I have little doubt that the rifle is a USMC rifle and it was taken out of service before 1939. So, it matches the story that goes with it.

In answer to your question, Yes, there are USMC rifles all around your rifle's serial number. And it's not coincidence. From my data base:

S/N 1009309, S.A./11-42 bbl
    S/N 1009338, S.A./8-42 bbl
    S/N 1009445, S.A./11-18 bbl - your rifle
    S/N 1009818, S.A./7-18 bbl

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 03-10-2013 at 05:28.

2. Default

John,
    I really appreciate the assistance and the kind words. I find it interesting that a Marine could take his rifle with him when he retired-- was there a procedure for that? This particular gentleman had served in the Corps for many years-- like 15 to 20 years according to the family; most in China. He retired as an upper ranks enlisted man.

It is also interesting that the rifle has a later barrel than 1009818 on your list. I was told once that the USMC assembled many or most of their rifles in Philadelphia from Springfield-supplied parts. If so, would this explain the out-of-sequence barrels and the lack of a Springfield cartouche, yet the presence of a "circle P" firing proof? I also think it is great that it came with a 1919 dated bayonet and a 1918 dated sling-- both are dated close to when the rifle was probably assembled. Again, thanks for the help!
    Bill M.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    Oooo! That's a nice rifle. You should be justly proud.

I have little doubt that the rifle is a USMC rifle and it was taken out of service before 1939. So, it matches the story that goes with it.

In answer to your question, Yes, there are USMC rifles all around your rifle's serial number. And it's not coincidence. From my data base:

S/N 1009309, S.A./11-42 bbl
    S/N 1009338, S.A./8-42 bbl
    S/N 1009445, S.A./11-18 bbl - your rifle
    S/N 1009818, S.A./7-18 bbl

J.B.

very nice....thanks for sharing
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Quote Originally Posted by kb466 View Post
    John,
    I really appreciate the assistance and the kind words. I find it interesting that a Marine could take his rifle with him when he retired-- was there a procedure for that? This particular gentleman had served in the Corps for many years-- like 15 to 20 years according to the family; most in China. He retired as an upper ranks enlisted man.

It is also interesting that the rifle has a later barrel than 1009818 on your list. I was told once that the USMC assembled many or most of their rifles in Philadelphia from Springfield-supplied parts. If so, would this explain the out-of-sequence barrels and the lack of a Springfield cartouche, yet the presence of a "circle P" firing proof? I also think it is great that it came with a 1919 dated bayonet and a 1918 dated sling-- both are dated close to when the rifle was probably assembled. Again, thanks for the help!
    Bill M.
    The only procedure I'm aware of for a Marine to take his service rifle home with him is via duffel-bag requisition.

Your rifle's serial number and barrel date are a reasonable match. I am not aware of any USMC assemblage of rifles from parts at their Philadelphia Ordnance Shop. The presence of an encircled "P" firing proof is an indication that the stock also once had a Springfield Armory inspection stamp. Perhaps the stamp was thin and has been sanded away.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

VERY nice rifles !! Thanks for posting the pics !!

Emri

Marines were issued their M1903 in boot camp and would carry it with them as the transferred from duty station to duty station. From what I have read, until WWII, Marines were allowed to purchase their service rifle from the government upon discharge. Some did, but most did not because of the cost.

Regards,

Clay
    Last edited by cfn1803; 03-11-2013 at 04:39.

7. Default

I have a feeling Rick the Librarian is shedding tears of envy at the sight of your beautiful Rock Island. If you were to tell him that rifle came from the PI I would hear the effects of the green eyed monster even here in MA.

Thank you for taking the time to show some great rifles.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cfn1803 View Post
    Marines were issued their M1903 in boot camp and would carry it with them as the transferred from duty station to duty station. From what I have read, until WWII, Marines were allowed to purchase their service rifle from the government upon discharge. Some did, but most did not because of the cost.

Regards,

Clay
    My Dad, USMC 1944, knew the serial numbers of the 03A3 he had in boot camp, the M1 he had in advanced infantry training, and the M1 he was issued before he shipped out to invade Japan. He'd rattle those numbers off and I wish to high heaven I had written them down!

9. Default

Retired in 1939? I think all of the Marines who retired in 1938/41 were recalled to Active Duty. Too bad you don't have a name or service numvber. Might be interesting to try to look him up. I'll bet he saw WWII duty.

10. Default

I do have a name but I am not going to publish it as requested by the family. This fellow left the Corps in 1939 after 15-20 years service. When he retired, he left as a high ranking enlisted man. In 1942, he went into the Navy and was commissioned an officer. He served the duration of the war as a stateside instructor. There were other things he saved from his USMC service, but the family was keeping those other things. I remember that his kids told me that he was always proud of his USMC service as a "China Marine". In fact, I remember they said he used to joke that he left China just in time as he was on the verge of going "Asiatic" from having served there so long.
    Bill M.