Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Gentlemen, Thanks for your replies, all. If you will check around the Internet, I am indeed a "member in good standing" on quite a number of firearms boards. I am not new to firearms, or reloading - but in calmer times, I could afford - and actually purchase - any powder I needed for a specific cartridge or load, and sometimes more than one, per caliber. (Since my IPSC days, I got out of reloading - but it may be the only way to get some older or obscure calibers of ammo, soon. The less popular, slower moving rounds are simply not going to be produced in a time of crisis, folks.)

Currently, I know of no where here in America where any of us can walk in and buy any powder we want. Thus, if I am going to stock up and purchase quantities when they became available, I was curious if the more experienced loaders, currently, might know of the most versatile powders. We are in a time of shortage, friends.

By the way, I don't quite understand ANY connection between an "Armorer" and "Reloading". An Armorer (not the same as a gunsmith) generally works on Law Enforcement and/or Military Arms. ALL of the general purpose ammo in these two worlds is supplied by the agency/department and reloading of empty cases is a rare occurance, indeed, due to the modern legal/liability concerns of governmental bodies - it is usually FORBIDDEN to use reloads in Department/Agency firearms. I do not currently work for any arm of the Government, but I was a cop at one time, and a Reserve Sheriff's Deputy before that and I know their rules.

Now, if that is not enough comfort to the suspicious minds here, let me give you something more real to concern yourselves with:

Note: For those of you who really just want to be a little Paranoid, or who truely enjoy worrying - An obviously .gov DHS type (way better dressed and younger than the rest of us, standing in the very middle of a crowd of fifty+ partriotic, older Americans) attended our peaceful, local "Day of Resistance" 2nd Amendment Rally, and rotated his cell phone in the middle of to be sure he got good video of everyone's faces a couple of weeks ago. There, now you have something besides me to worry about!

While at my local gun emporium tonight, I looked in one of the NEWEST reloading manuals, and found that the Vitavhori (sp?) N 150 has loads listed for .223, .308 and .30-06 - and bought a pound to try in .223. So this powder seemingly will fulfill the need for a "universal" powder for those calibers. But wait - there is no "gas gun" data specifically called out - port pressure could be way off. Well, back to the books. Please let me know if any of you find better answers - and I will do likewise.

Thanks again, Col. Colt
    PS - Relax.
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 03-06-2013 at 11:11. Reason: Humor and clarity.
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

2. Default

There are NO universal powders. Period.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

At our Pro 2nd Amendment rally in Jeff City , Mo. the county prosecutor was there along with many Mo. State Highway patrolmen.......... all thought the NY laws were insane.......... all belong to the NRA............

Many people there video-taped the rally, along with several TV stations/radio stations....... the private citizens posted their tapes on Utube.........all in support of the 2nd Amendment.......

get the large economy sized roll of HeavyDuty Reynolds brand aluminum foil Col. Colt & use a double layer of it on high quality stainless steel colander........insist on Reynold's wrap..........

to get back to the reloading, Unique, Varget W748, W452AA (shotguns) IMR 4895,imr 4064 all are good to have around ..........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
    While at my local gun emporium tonight, I looked in one of the NEWEST reloading manuals, and found that the Vitavhori (sp?) N 150 has loads listed for .223, .308 and .30-06 - and bought a pound to try in .223. So this powder seemingly will fulfill the need for a "universal" powder for those calibers. But wait - there is no "gas gun" data specifically called out - port pressure could be way off. Well, back to the books. Please let me know if any of you find better answers - and I will do likewise.

Thanks again, Col. Colt
    PS - Relax.
    for the 3 calibers listed, go 4895 or 4064, (boht IMR)
    both can be loaded safely for the M1 Garand, and others as well,

IMR 4064 is great with 150 and 180 grain bullets in 30-06! I also use it for 7.7X58 Jap and lighter bullet loads in 30-40 Krag. The burn rate is well suited to the application!

Quote Originally Posted by Hefights View Post
    Well you may not like the post, but there is nothing wrong with answering it, we're not giving him any loads, and he still has the need to acquire a manual, and this IS a reloading forum. I've seen the Col. Colt handle around the forum, I think he may be a good member in long standing, not sure. Meanwhile, I know several avid shooters, at least up until recent months, never reloaded or considered reloading, and only purchased ammo in bulk to support their habit. So while it may seem unikely, perhaps not unheard of. It certainly is logical that now there are bunches of people wanting to get into reloading.

Two of the avid shooters I know, one is now going into reloading, the other is trying to cut a deal to have me reload some stuff for him. I may consider doing that, but if so I may consider video taping the reloading session to ensure "transparency". I could just be "the most transparent reloader in history" (now where did I hear that phrase?).
    You are correct, nothing wrong with answering the post, but I still don't like it as I assume an armorer would be familiar with reloading regardless of what the school taught him. I should not assume anything and if I offended the original poster, accept my apology!
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

7. Default

Like he says, "armorers" are not all familiar with reloading. Most gunsmiths are. I had to think about it but it makes senses. Meanwhile based upon his description I now recognize this as the COL Colt that haunts several forums, so he is "legit"
    Last edited by Hefights; 03-09-2013 at 08:04.

Most police department armorers are not going to be using reloads but factory ammo. Out of 39 cities and towns in my area only two of us reloaded for our own use but we both still use factory ammo when needed.