Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Cosine26 View Post
    On sniper riufles equipped with unertl type scopes, the rifle will recoil under the scope and the bolt handle will clear. Without the spring on the scope, it will not return to battery...
    I know the spring isn't permissible, but what about using strip of inner tube rubber secured between front clamping ring and rear mount to return the scope to battery as is described as a field mod in the Senich book on pg. 53? Anyone know if this is legal for CMP? Don't know if I'll do this but just might get the urge to give it a try at some point.

Lyman type Steve Earl bases ......not O E..
    they work, and the bolt will clear, i install lots of them...
    if you plan on sending me the rifle, call Steve and he will also tell you...those bases work best.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

3. Default

If I was doing mine over, I'd use Steve Earle's blocks, harder steel and real pretty color case hardening. The Earle blocks are higher and I like the cheek weld I get with the lower Leatherwood blocks. My unmodified SHT bolt would clear the scope with the Leatherwood blocks with the elevation cranked all the way down. Make your block decision first as the Leatherwood and Steve Earle blocks have different hole spacing. Figure out what you want and send it to Chuck. He's got the ticket for keeping your front block from loosening. Also, when I got mine back from him and zero'ed it on a calm day, my scope was centered in the rear ring, just perfect. I have no experience with genuine Unertl rings and their adjustments. The Leatherwood rings seem to work fine for me and the adjustments are consistent and adjustable.

the bases that they provide with the Malcom scope are poo poo. screws arent 6-48, and are soft as butter,
    they arent drilled to the right specs as well.
    i belive the Chinese made them to metric specs rather then ASE.

pic of the Lyman bases in use, bolt clears with no issues.
    they cost less then 40.00 shipped. best 40 bucks youll spend on the build.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    the bases that they provide with the Malcom scope are poo poo. screws arent 6-48, and are soft as butter,
    they arent drilled to the right specs as well.
    i belive the Chinese made them to metric specs rather then ASE.
    I would agree. The optics are great, the metal surrounding...not so much. If I had it to do over, I'd use the Earle blocks. The rifle is fun, though, now that everything stays tight.

Quote Originally Posted by ntex2000 View Post
    I know the spring isn't permissible, but what about using strip of inner tube rubber secured between front clamping ring and rear mount to return the scope to battery as is described as a field mod in the Senich book on pg. 53? Anyone know if this is legal for CMP? Don't know if I'll do this but just might get the urge to give it a try at some point.
    I don't understand how this was supposed to work. I suspect its a fairy tall that unfortunately found its way into print.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jgaynor View Post
    I don't understand how this was supposed to work. I suspect its a fairy tall that unfortunately found its way into print.

Regards,
    Jim
    I'll post this as a separate topic to see if anyone has tried it out.