1. Default Sweedish 1896 value

I am trying to get some kind of idea of what a real world value is on a Sweedish 1896 rifle that a friend has for sale. I realy dont follow these but I have always admired the Sweedish mausers . Also I prefer the shorter carbines over the rifles. I have no photos of this rifle but I will try and describe it. It appears to be matching except for the bolt assy which is numbered to it self. I dont see any numbers on the barrel to know if it is matching. I did not take it apart .The bore is very nice and is marked a 2 on the brass disc. It does have a very noticable import mark on the right front side of barrel. Good looking rifle with about 75 to 80% original blue. The muzzle is not threaded. There are 2 small faint crowns behind the trigger guard. The wood is good with original finish . Small normal handling marks, dings, scratches, etc.. No rust or pitting. Used but not abused. He is wanting $250 for it which seems fair but Im not sure if I want to start with this one or just hold out for a nice crispy original carbine. . Are the real nice carbines harder to find and what do they generally go for? Thanks in advance.

Real nice carbines are very hard to find now, altho thousands were imported. A VG matched example will cost you 800-1000 bucks, maybe 7-800 m/m. Rifles are running around 3-400 now, some minor parts (not bolt parts!) may be m/m. Most have 95%+ oringinal blue and very nice wood. Stock disk are unreliable as you have no idea when it was last inspected or if its even original to the rifle. I would get him down to 200 but it is a shooter, not a nice collector piece---too many excellent examples of these rifles exsist. To see stock and barrel numbers it must be taken apart!