1. Default M1-D Front Site Ground Down History

Hi Folks,
    I got my M1-D about 12-14 years ago, and was very pleased to have won the CMP lottery. When I finally got possession, I noticed the gront sight blade was ground down some with rough work, not totally professionally with a few strikes to the ears. My first thought was to find a replacement sight to restore this fine rifle to what Springfield Armory would have put together, but saw a couple others at gun shows and on the web with the same alterations.

I'm happy I didn't do anything, but have had no luck finding out what period and what branch of service did this. I've asked several folks "in the know" who have seen the same but still no luck finding out the answers. Was this done in the 50's, 60's or sometime later? Also, did the National Guards, Army or some other branch do this?

Thanks for any help on my two questions.

S Russell

2. Default

Is your front sight staked across the front of the sight and the gas cyl.

3. Default

Johnny,
    The front sight is not staked at all. Overall it looks like it has been fired very little.
    Thanks again.

The front sight on my M1D in the exact similar fashion as purchased from the CMP in 2010. I left it as is and it isn't staked. I would also be interested to see who or why this may have been done.

Too lazy to pull mine out, but do the ears show up in the scope? Can't remember.

I have that problem on my FAL (very low mounted scope) and painted them light gray on the back to reduce the effect.

6. Default

I attached a picture showing the front sight modifications. I don't see any of the sight when looking through the scope. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks to me that the BLADE was ground down and the ears just took collateral damage. Grinding down the blade would make the gun shoot higher, which may have been done to make it easier to get a zero without cranking the rear sight up too high.

A thought which occurs to me is that the commander or armorer involved may have thought to try to make the rifle shoot to a battle sight zero with NO rear sight elevation, thinking that in an emergency the sniper might need to pull a non functional scope off and quickly use the iron sights. These are only guesses.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 10-08-2012 at 03:50.

8. Default

I have observed many original with DCM papers M1D's that appear to have been zeroed a SA some have the front blade ground down to give the rifle better elevation correction with the minimum of up clicks also many had the front sight and gas cyl. staked at the front to show the zero location.

9. Default Any further ideas?

Let me thank everyone who has read or resdponed to my questions. I'm glad to see the "why" responeses but was hoping to get answers to the "when" and "who did it". I have an ongoing discussion with a collector telling him thay I thought this was a USMC thing as what other branch of the service modifed/replaced sights. Anyway, that's my thoughts but it aure would be nice to prove it. Any thoughts on where to find answers are much appreciated.