Thread: Senich book

Default Senich book

Over many years I have seen references to a book by Peter R. Senich when questions on sniping are brought up. I recently acquired his book titled "The Pictorial History of U.S. Sniping" and was wondering if that was the book or if he has written several books on the subject. The book is from the Robert F. Barrick Memorial Library at Fort Ritchie Maryland and was on a shelf at an antique mall. Paid $20.

i have two of Peter Senich books, the complete book of U S sniping and the long range war- sniping in vietnam both good books

Peter Senich produced a large volume on German Sniper rifles of WW1 and WW2 in the late 60's. He subsequently wrote 4 or 5 books on U.S. Sniper rifles. Among the best are the Complete history of US Sniping and the USMC Scout Sniper In WW2 and Korea.
    I believe it was Peter who had a long running ad in the Shotgun News asking for information, photos and the like on military snipers back in the mid '60's. If my recollection is is correct this may have provided some kernels of information that led to the creation of his books. Prior to his books there was really very little written on sniping equipment. Mainly the books consisted of some first person accounts by Mc Bride, Shore and others.

Regards,
    Jim

Thank you jgaynor for all the information on Senich. I had no idea that his writings were so extensive.

5. Default

I have read the 2 mentioned above many times they are packed with little known info. and pictures.

agreed....Senich's work on the Vietnam & Post VN-era Remington/USMC M40 & optics is second to none...
    Last edited by Dan in NY; 09-03-2012 at 06:19.