Thread: M1 Bayonet questions

Default M1 Bayonet questions

I ordered and received a bayonet from the CMP. I asked for one that would be correct for my 4.7M HRA. This is what they sent:

So it looks like I got a Utica Cutlery M1 modified with a "beak" point. I was wondering if there was anything else that could be discerned about it. It looks like in 1942 it was modified from 16" to 10", but other than that, I have no idea. On the other side of the blade is a partial Ordance symbol. Anything you guys can tell me about it?

that beak point is a BOWIE point,the scabbard looks Danish-

Dollar Bill- Since you have a H&R M1, (made M1s from 52-56) and based upon the serial # range you gave, I'd guess either an M1 or M5 bayonet would have been appropriate. You do have the cut down M1905, which has a really nice finish. Check out the top of the handle on the tang. There should be 3 letters stamped there. That will tell you who did the cut-down work. The scabbard, at least the fiber body, was from Nationalist China, not sure about the metal throat. But it's not US made. Hope this helps a little. SKIP

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. The top tang is marked AFH. On the tang is a C 64035-1 with a UC under that. Under the handle, on the lever are the markings TO with a dot preceeding the T, level with the top of the T.

So the CMP sold me a "Made in Taiwan" scabbard? That certainly was unexpected!!! It appears well made.

This is a project of mine in honor of my father, Roy Johnson, who served in the Korean War with the 7th Infantry Division. The SG M1 I received is correct except for the bolt. I have tracked down 1952-1953 ammo slings and even a quantity of LC 53 primed cases. It's amazing what's out there once you start looking!

P.S. I had referred to the point as a Bowie point but research showed that the period-correct nomenclature was beak point. Ref.: http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_2.htm
    Last edited by Dollar Bill; 08-04-2012 at 04:35.

The Utica Cutlery M1905 bayonet modified by American Fork and Hoe is indeed one of the correct options for your M1. The scabbard wouldn't bother me much but that's just me, we shipped M1 rifles all over the world.

6. Default

See Bayo Point Alternative/Replacement Scabbards for the explanation.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_41.htm

Thank you for the link, Sarge. A picture tells a thousand words. The scabbard is well made and would work just fine but I had originally swapped emails with the CMP about the bayonet and the scabbard. They assured me of a US issue scabbard so I contacted customer service. It appears that most of the scabbards they have are the Tiawaneses made for the Greeks. I said that was fine and thanked them for the clarification. Then, today, a lady from the CMP contacted me and said she had been looking for a different scabbard for me, had found one and would ship it as soon as I returned the first one!!!

I don't know what your dealings have been with the CMP but 3 times, they have gone way above what I would have expected from any organization to ensure I was a satisfied customer. My hat's off to them.