Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

Thank you all for your service!!!

2. Default

Assuming that any modification to a legitimate USMC rifle will hurt it's pedigree, at the same time you will spend a lot of money to make the rifle's collector value to go down. If you can document that the rifle is indeed a USMC with sales slip, or serial number research, it would indeed be a crying shame to convert when there are better options that are cheaper, resulting in a rifle that in looks and performance are identical or better than an original.
    If you want a Marine sniper clone, the best option is to buy one from Creedmore Sports complete with Hi-Lux 8X scope.
    These look amazing, and shoot as good as they look. No scrounging for parts, no assembly required, no chance of getting burned, or ruining a project (collector) rifle. For $2000 you get what you pay for, and they will stand behind it.
    If you build one from a bare receiver, it will cost you around $1500 or more. A clone, is a clone, is a clone. If you clone a USMC rifle into a 1941 Sniper, it is still a clone. The cheapest way to go is to shop for the cheapest 1903, use the wood, and barrel that comes with it, and attach the scope. This will probably be around $1200 by the time you fire the first shot, assuming you go with the Hi-Lux 8X.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk2 View Post
    Jim, Where the 1000 A4 delivered to the USMC....Where there any additional markings added to the rifle to denote USMC lineage..Is the USMC Serial number block known....Thank you for sharing your knowledge...regards....
    I don't think so. FWIW SRS records show a number of A4's in USMC Inventory at various museums etc and some of Peter Senich's books show depict USMC A4's in combat photographs.
    Regards,
    Jim

Sir, thank you for the info....regards....

There was a Marine local to us that always claimed he was a sniper on Okinawa and had an A4 with a weaver. He said it was a horrible scope and his would fill with water from the condensation of the heat. He said he tried his best to drain it every morning.

I always figured he was mistaken and he had an 03, not an A4.

It's interesting to know he might have been correct. I didn't know the Marines used the A4.

6. Default

The Marines have 3-A4's in the Field Museum at Quantico. I have their serial numbers.

jt

Jim, Does the 3-A4's in Museum, have any identifing marks to denote USMC lineage....thank you....regards

8. Default

They appear to be typical A4's, with none of the usual things to indicate Marine linage. Of course they are behind glass, so one does not get to examine them closely.

jt

Sir , With your knowledge of the subjet I hope you can ans this question I have been trying to find . The first use of the M1903-A1 with the unertl scope in WW2 . The best I can find is 3rd Marine Div Bouganville Nov 43. By no means am I trying to steal this site just caught your name here . Thanking you in advance , kaleu.

10. Default

Check your messages.

jt