Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gibbs 1903-a4 Quality

Dear Right Wing Types

Was in a local RI gun store today, saw that they had a 1903-a4 clone by Gibbs on display, and had a look. Not really impressed with the quality control.

Upper fore stock, Rough with open pores. It was sanded down but the wood selection was so poor it had so many below surface openings, it would have been better just to buy NOS, from a Parts supplier instead of using whatever wood, iirc the Philippine stock supplier used.

Receiver: obviously rebuilt from a drill rifle, you could see under a fairly good re-park job, a below surface mark, from where the spot weld was ground off, I mean they could have rewelded and ground it down a little better.

Markings: Up on the front of the Receiver on the left hand side below the scope mount, Remington 1903a3 stamped parallel to the horizontal axis of the rifle. On the right hand side up by the front scope mount, serial no was stamped 2x on the receiver.

Bolt action: Seemed really really rough, like they reparked the receiver and just put a barrel on and finished boring the chamber, really rough unlock, pullback, chamber and locking action.

Nothing a few thousand bolt cycles couldn't cure.

Parkerization: seemed to be really cleanly done on the exposed barrel part and the mount and receiver. Can't remember off hand if they did the bolt too. (Except for the ding where the spot weld was ground out, on the receiver).

Overall, I'd say for $995 or whatever going rate, a bit too much, as a purist would can the stock and go for NOS from a parts supplier.

Note: I didn't mention the optics, because I have no experience with a scoped rifle, and absolutely no experience with what an *original* scope for the a4 to compare.

Cross hair type, and probably a little thick for 200yrd + shooting. I tried to get a proper cheek weld, but the cross hairs were below middle of the optical field when my cheek was tight on the stock. Maybe for some people a leather sock to raise your cheek up would work.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/968412579..._SCOPE_NIB.htm

Store listing on guns america $929.99 + $30 shipping 3 days examination time. No pix on listing.

RHB

Reports on these have been mixed. Generally the final assembly has been sloppy - loose screws etc.. Some owners have reported decent results after tightening things up. What sahpe will the scope be in after 500, 1000 or 2000 rounds is anybody's guess. Probably the best solution would be to keep the reproduction scope for decoration and mount decent 1" scope for shooting.

i have no access to Gibbs cost information but from what i know of the business if they are retailing the rifle for $995. They probably don't have more than a few hundred dollars in them out the factory door. Then the wholesaler and retailers get their cuts.

Regards,
    Jim

I'm building my own. Using a drill reciever, new 1944 barrel, "A4" style bolt, and a Dupage C stock. Using a post and crosshair Lyman I found at a small out of the way gun show for 24 dollars. Got the rifle for 150, barrel for 75, stock was 75, rebarrel/headspace/attach Redfield mount/Lyman rings 125 dollars. So I have 450 dollars in it so far. Just nervous about milling out the clearance for the bolt handle.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

I too have made a couple of these rifles starting with drill rifles. New barrels and bolts and Redfield Jr mounts. But I have used modern scopes. One wears a weaver K10 and the other a 6-18 variable. One is on an A3 action and the other is an O3. Stocks are both military scants that I got from CMP. I glass bedded the actions. Milled out the bolt clearance just like an A4 stock. Both shoot as good as any other sporter made on a Springfield barreled action. One item I deviated on was to apply a ceramic paint (mat black) finish to the metal. It looks good and is easier to do than to find someone to Parkerize everything.

A fellow shooter has one and after ther first five rounds the optics let loose. He sais he was going to take it back to the dealer that sold it to him.

6. Default

I have a Gibbs 03-A4 and could not be happier with it. Fit and finish is excellent and after 150 rounds, the scope has held zero..

Highly recomended...

7. Default

You are lucky.

jt

8. Default

This is the way I feel about them. Ten years ago a 1903 A4 could be had for around $1500 to as much as $2500. Prices are now About $2500 to as much as $4500 or slightly more. Gibbs Fake A4 sells for $995, in ten years I'd bet they sell for no more then $995 or possibly much-much less. A real A4 is an investment, a Gibb's A4 is a consumer purchase kinda like buying a new flat screen TV. You might enjoy it, but you'll never get your money back out of it.

9. Default

1) I don't think I have seen a real A4 for less than $4K
    2) I am never going to invest that kind of $$ in a firearm
    3) Even if I did, I would be too afraid to shoot it
    4) if I ever decide to sell, I would be happy to get what I have in it
    5) this is my shooter, a faithful replica is perfect for my needs
    Last edited by Bigbuckeye; 10-18-2011 at 05:08.

10. Default

I paid $1500 for my early A4 in a C stock last year, without scope or rings, and it is pristine. Keep looking.

jt