Thread: WWII American helmet

SammyG Guest

Default WWII American helmet

How much are they worth in good condition? I am not selling it anytime soon, it was my late step-fathers and I plan on keeping it for a few more decades. But I was just curious, it's in good shape and has authentic camouflage. I can't post pics right now but I will try later.

If you have a good liner that is of the same time period as the helmet with the suspension intact and in good condition I would guess over $100.00 depending on condition maybe a lot more. If the liner is shot it will be a lot less. You might check "Top Pots" to get an idea on what restored helmets are going for.

By correct camoflage I assume you mean net or cover.
    Last edited by Art; 08-02-2011 at 08:25.

$50 up depending on condition. As I collect M1 helmets I'd sure like to see pictures of it. Is it front seam or rear, fixed or swivel bails, what kind of liner and suspension, who made the liner, are their any decals or painted unit markings and of couse can it be traced to a given service person. If your step dad wore it, I'd say its priceless.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

SammyG Guest

I believe it has a marine insignia but I'm not sure. I haven't looked at it in a while. It is a swivel and I haven't taken off the cover for fear of ripping it with my clumsy hands. I can't get a decent picture, only cell phone and I still have to wait till Friday regardless.

Some US militaria is getting expensive.
    For years it was ignored by collectors.
    Original gear like helmets are especially rare as most nobody ever brought them home.
    They were turned in with other field gear.

SammyG Guest

Okay, my phone is stupid and won't send pictures. It has the marine insignia, the suspension is in good condition, but one of the straps was torn slightly years ago.

Your helmet is going up in value. Does the cover have slits in it or is it solid? Marine stenciled insignia covers usually are Korea, post Korea covers but anything is possible. Was this helmet issued to your step dad?
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

SammyG Guest

No, it might have been his(my stepdad) fathers, but otherwise I don't know the history.

Default M1 Helmet values

I bought a fixed bail early original WWII helmet and a decent liner, with the sweatband, lightly used off of Ebay a few years ago for about 200 dollars. Go to Ebay, they usually sell for way over 200 dollars, and even up to 500 if everything is there. Later swivel bale helmets sometimes sell for a little under 200, and the paratrooper ones go up through the stratosphere. If you can get a decent WWII helmet with liner now for 200 dollars you did well in my opinion.