Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New after market copy of Unertl 8 power

i can not recall where i read it or who said it, but i distinctly remember talk of a company putting together a good reliable replica of the unertl 8 power

I would like to find out, i would buy one if price was reasonable, and i would think that a quality scope could be had for 300.00 to 500.00, i know pretty high on the big end but i also know what a fiasco the gibbs scopes have turned out to be and they were and are not cheap, On my target at the Eastern games XXX XXXXX had a gibbs reproduction A4
    and it was off paper at 300 yards and no matter what the man did, it would not change, he could do nothing, he finished the match with a borrowed riffle,

day before the match there was a "class/lecture/orientation" whatever you wanted to call it, I attended it, and it was basically a "Buy Gibbs" talk and he discussed the problems with scopes and said he would offer a return/upgrade for so many dollars
    then they said that the scope was not intended for anything over 100 yards..

Sorry, but i researched all sales literature and sales ads and could find nothing that said the "scope good for 100 yards only"

wasn't the gibbs repro a china made scope???

Yes i would pay for a reliable scope, in a heartbeat, I have a '41 USMC but sure aint gonna take it out and shoot it, hell my grandkids could go to college for what it is worth

comments???
    regards,
    ira
    Last edited by pelago; 07-24-2011 at 05:07.

2. Default

A rep from Leatherwood/Hi-Lux at the Eastern games was indeed talking about a Unertl repro. But there is nothing yet on their site about it. I'm sure we will learn more about the progress while at Perry, maybe even a prototype to see.
    I was at the VSM clinic you spoke of. It was a good opportunity for Val to explain the problems they have had with the early scopes, and allow us to see the improved version. I met Val at the GSM Master instructor course at Butner a few years ago. He's a good guy, and huge supporter of the CMP and GSM games matches by donating the prize rifle since the 900 Agg was introduced.
    Leatherwood/Hi-Lux knows that they will have to get the Unertl right and bring it in at a reasonable price. I heard around $700 give or take, which ain't bad if the quality is there.
    Last edited by Greg Ficklin; 07-24-2011 at 05:41.

thanks fick, i just sent them a note and simply asked them
    who knows might be something soon to come out
    regards and look forward to competing against you at Perry,
    regards
    Ira

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    I have a '41 USMC but sure aint gonna take it out and shoot it, hell my grandkids could go to college for what it is worth
    comments???regards, ira
    You might cover one semester. Check out tuition costs these days.

Good luck to all of you at Perry next year.

jt

get your checkbooks out, just received this from Hi Lux very promising and looking forward to next shootable project

"Hello Mr. Jones. Yes, we are in the process of manufacturing that scope. Should be available in late September. We will let you know
    once if becomes available.

Chris Tully
    Sales Manager""

6. Default

My history with the Unertl clone started at the SHOT show in January, "it'll be out in the spring." Then, "it'll be out in June," then August, now late September. They must be having some issues.....and they want to do it right.

**to do it right.**
    something to be said about that, want another repro piece of junk that came with the gibbs?? i dont

8. Default

Yep, they've been working on this for a couple of years it seems. I hope they're close.

9. Default

Unertl in Las Vegas worked on having it done for several years also. But they went bankrupt before they could find anywhere they could have quality micrometer rear and front mounts made at an affordable price. They were thinking that could could produce new ones for about $1200 to $1500. But why would anyone pay that much for a copy when you can buy original Unertl target scopes for almost half that price. Even IF they can be made for "around $700 give or take". Why buy a copy when you can get a real Unertl for that same price??? Sure a Unertl target scope might not look Exactly like an original Unertl USMC 8X Sniper scope but I would rather have a Unertl target scope that I could shoot with then a copy of a Unertl Sniper scope scope that looked good and wasn't the quality of an original. No matter what you do, a copy is still just a copy that will never be worth more then half of what you paid for it. A REAL Unertl will always sell for close too or more then you paid for it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Salt Lake View Post
    Yep, they've been working on this for a couple of years it seems. I hope they're close.

10. Default

That's just it, you cannot get an 8X Unertl for $700 anymore. The 8X is the most sought after and go for $1300 or more. The 6X is also very good for the CMP sniper game and are around $600 if you can find one. I gave $550 for my 6X Unertl this year and I thought it was a real bargain. I am optimistic that these repro Unertls will be good scopes. They aren't as complicated as many of the bargain scopes available with all the bells and whistles people want these days . A laptop computer is way more complicated and cost the same. There is no reason these new scopes cannot be as good as the originals. My jap repro Win 52 is proof that it can be done.
    A reproduction is just that, a reproduction, not a cheap copy. A cheap copy will not do. They learned that with the A5 fiasco. If they want to sell me one they have to get it right. I think they can do it.