Default Aussie bayonet question

What bayonet is correct for the Aussie built SMLE No1 MKIII* dated 1943?

Any P07 bayonet except the one with the hooked quillion.

The sword bayonet, Pattern 1907 will fit. They all have 1907 stamped on the ricasso and a blade of 17"

Thank you for the replies. I had wondered if they used the same bayo as the rest of the Empire, or they made something different.

Ed

Greetings Ed. Any '07 would be correct, but an Aussie rifle deserves an Aussie bayonet me thinks- A Lithgow, Orange, or Slazenger.

Cheers,

Mark
    "I strive to consistently shoot to the level of accuracy that I only occasionally achieve" - Mark

Alea Iacta Est

Thanks, Mark. Of those three, which would be the most common? Lithgow?
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by 4F4Nam View Post
    Thanks, Mark. Of those three, which would be the most common? Lithgow?
    Ed
    Hi Ed. The short answer is- I really don't know. The long answer is- That's a tough call. Maybe JB White will read this and lend an opinion. In my (Limited) collecting experience I've seen more Lithgow and Orange bayo's for sale on e-bay than Slazenger. And all the Lithgow's I've seen for sale on e-bay were produced in the early 1900's (Roughly 1910 - 1918), and the Orange & Slazenger during the war/post war years (Roughly 1941 on up). The early Lithgow's are (Generally) going to fetch a higher price than the "Newer" Orange or Slaz, but the Orange/Slaz will generally be in better condition.

If you're seriously looking for one and see something on e-bay don't hesitate to post a link here in the forum and ask for a critique/opinion.

Cheers,

Mark
    "I strive to consistently shoot to the level of accuracy that I only occasionally achieve" - Mark

Alea Iacta Est

Hi Ed,

Kiesling's referance states the following

1907 pattern bayonets were manufactured from 1913 onward in the state arsenal of Lithgow and usually marked with a letter A in a seven-pointed star,a shield with 1907,the word Lithgow and the month and year of production. A second factory, Orange Arsenal,started production in 1942 and also manufactured Model 1907 bayonets. Bayonets from World War II (and later) production are often stamped with other markings. Mangrovrite ( Mangrovite Belting) on scabbards, SLAZ and a date on grips for the firm Slazenger; and MA for made in Australia on the blade

We have many of these here in the RSA as stocks were sent to equip the troops during World War II as the South African Army used some of them. Most of ours are Orange Arsonal examples

Lobo

Thanks guys. That is a lot more than I ever knew about Aussie bayonets! I only have the one No1 Lithgow rifle , and it is pretty decent. It is import marked, but that matters not to me. Thinking of getting a blade for it someday. Those turn up at local gun shows on occasion, and I now know what to look for.

Thanks again Ed